1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

John Kallas Appreciation/Owners club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sneha1965, Jul 7, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Jannosch

Jannosch

Jun 30, 2015
    Germany
    It is time to show my next beauty and some toys...

Here's my new '66 jazz
    cgnfkapnmeifgmnm.
    Here in his case...
    BILD3905.JPG
    And, as all of you guess, it sounds absolutely amazing!!!

Here comes a nice little tool to have some fun together..
    BILD3918.

murphy, cataract, jazzbo58 and 8 others like this.
  2. Jannosch, sneha1965 and johnk_10 like this.
  3. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Awesome! I have one in the pipeline with John right now. Your photo's were just what I needed to help me pass the time. :)
    Are those Hipshot tuning machines? I used @HipShot lollipop's on my last Kallas Precision. They are awesome.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    johnk_10, Jannosch and sneha1965 like this.
  4. Jannosch

Jannosch

Jun 30, 2015
    Germany
    Pleased that you like the photos, I am lucky that I'm able to have this wonderful bass in my hands ;). I know how tough it is, if you're waiting, but in the end it definitely is worth the time.

The tuners are Gotoh tuners. I wanted to have a quite original '66 RI and the Hipshots have a modern housing of the machine, so it was no choice. On my Kallas Precision are Gotoh Res-O-Lites and they are amazing.

I wish you a relaxed time (it's almost like waiting for Santa).

johnk_10 and sneha1965 like this.
  5. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Outstanding!!! Love the binding dot neck. It's hard to tell on my monitor but is that Surf Green?

6. Jannosch

Jannosch

Jun 30, 2015
    Germany
    No, it's seafoam green.

Green is my favorite color :D.

johnk_10 and sneha1965 like this.
  7. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Awesome! Would love to know your impression on both the bass and the pedal as time permits.

johnk_10 likes this.
  8. 9mmMike

I understand completely about the "modern" Hipshots. I have many basses with Hipshot Drop-D's but they are the older style without, what I call, the square shoulders. :)
    On my 1971 Shell Pink "resto" that John did for me, I did use the modern Hipshots and I have no regrets. They are really nice. I still would probably not use them on a 60's bass though. My latest project just arrived at John's a week ago so I am fully prepared to wait. No worries, I have my '71 to keep me gigging!

johnk_10, Jannosch and sneha1965 like this.
  9. Jannosch

Jannosch

Jun 30, 2015
    Germany
    The bass (just like the Kallas Precision) is very very accurately built with a great love to detail. The painting is outstanding. You can still smell the nitro (I know this will go by - but it is another puzzle piece that leads to its wholeness) and I'm almost afraid to damage this beautiful instrument.
    The neck feels absolutely amazing and the bass is quite light for a Jazz Bass (unfortunately I don't have a possibitlity to weigh the bass). You don't want to take your fingers from the bass anymore. And because of that it is unbelievable inspiring when playing.
    But the resonance of the bass was the first thing that knocked me off. Although it is designed after it's '66 predecessor it sounds so modern (I wanted John to install rounds - D'Addario Pro Steels). After twelve days it lost a little bit of its sharpness and comes to where the flavor is ;).
    As I'm teaching bass now for more than 25 years I saw a lot of Fenders and third party J's and P's of all kinds. There have been the one or the other really good instrument but John's basses are a class of its own and I absolutely love them and will never sell them anymore.

To the pedal:
    The bearclaw is an OD/ Distortion Pedal with a very wide range to dial in. From very soft to heavy distortion - its all in there. The build quality is (as you thought), very impressive. Just open the back and take a look at the accurate layout. For sound examples see here: Bearclaw

I own (and owned) a couple of OD/Distortion/Fuzz pedals (still 5 years ago I couldn't imagine why one need more than one of these pedals) to these belong a.o. Source Audio Aftershock and John Kallas MiniBassFuzz, but my favorite is definitely the Bearclaw.

I hope I could give you a small insight of these to very beautiful pieces of bass gear!

sneha1965 likes this.
  10. Jannosch

Jannosch

Jun 30, 2015
    Germany
    As you said, if it wouldn't have been a 60's RI I probably would have taken the Hipshots.
    On your 1971 Precision: while thinking of which color I would take for my now seafoam green painted J-Bass, I could see your freshly finished Shell Pink "resto", because John and I were discussing the different custom colors:).

johnk_10 and 9mmMike like this.
  11. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Thank you for the run down Jannosch, that was great information! I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your bass and the pedal. I own two of John's basses, a 57 RI with jazz neck in Mary Kaye White and a 66 RI with blocks in Ocean Turquoise. I love them both and like you would not sell them off.

IMG_0014.
    IMG_1683.JPG

Jannosch, funk7856, johnk_10 and 2 others like this.
  12. Jannosch

Jannosch

Jun 30, 2015
    Germany
    Glad that I could help you.

It seems as if the two of us have almost the same taste :thumbsup:.

sneha1965 likes this.
  13. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    We definitely do! Do you happen to have any pictures of your JK Precision?

14. Jannosch

Jannosch

Jun 30, 2015
    Germany
    Yes, it is shown on page eight in this thread.

sneha1965 likes this.
  15. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Of course! I remember your bass now. Hard to believe that was almost 2 years ago when you posted. This thread needs some more action!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    9mmMike likes this.
  16. Jannosch

Jannosch

Jun 30, 2015
    Germany
    I am absolutely your opinion!

17. 9mmMike

I concur!

GuitarJay likes this.
  18. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Hey John Kallas! Not to take you away from your work, but if would be cool as time permits (and if you like) to share what projects you have going. Would love to hear what you’re up to these days.

wouter12, SKennedy32 and 9mmMike like this.
  19. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    What country is John Kallas? @johnk_10 ?

Found him....California USA

20. wouter12

wouter12

Apr 13, 2009
    Colorado
    Well here is something John is working on:

My '62 RI in sea foam surf green. I can wait actually - just too much work - but when it comes it will be like Christmas indeed. My first Kallas bass. I am honored to become the first owner of such a great instrument.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    jazzbo58, 9mmMike, sneha1965 and 4 others like this.