1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD John Kallas Masterbuilt 66 Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by The Bass Clef, Oct 5, 2017.

1. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Price:
    $1850
    Strings:
    5691E0AC-F19F-4DEA-BEB9-A714924C1A87.

John Kallas Masterbuilt ‘66 Jazz Bass

One of my favorite basses that I need to sell in order to help fund an all original vintage 1966 Fender Jazz Bass that I purchased recently. It hurts me to sell it, but it’s the only way I can afford to keep the vintage 1966 J.

This ‘66 replica Jazz Bass was built by master luthier John Kallas in Southern California, using all licensed USA-made reissue parts, and was finished by John in nitrocellulose lacquer. John is a true master luthier and this bass is equal to Fender Custom Shop quality in every way (and even better in my opinion).It is an extremely accurate recreation of a 1966 Jazz Bass, and this bass costs over $3300 new from John. Here’ are the specs...
    • Black nitro finish & matching headstock (w/ “hootenanny button” on back of headstock
    • Strung with Thomastik-Infeld flatwounds
    • Rosewood fretboard w/ white binding & pearl blocks
    • ‘66 ”Lollipop” reissue tuners
    • 3-Ply mint pickguard
    • Hand-shaped, thin neck profile (which feels almost identical to my vintage 1966 Jazz) & amber tinted nitro lacquer on back of neck
    • USA reissue hardware including threaded saddle bridge, chrome “ashtray” covers & “Pure Vintage” knobs.
    • ’74 Amercian Vintage Series “Pure Vintage” pickups
    • USA CTS 250K pots
    • Very lightweight at 8 lbs. 14 oz. and perfectly balanced
    The neck feels amazing and the fretwork is nothing short of boutique quality. Very smooth, low action all across the board with no dead notes. Truss rod works great with plenty of room for adjustments in both directions. The bass has some minor finish wear here and there from playing, which I’ve tried to photograph, but overall the bass in in very nice condition. For this price range, it’s one of the best basses you will ever play, and with the ‘74 pure vintage pickups, this bass absolutely thumps!

Comes with a new Fender gig bag and will be packed very carefully for shipping. I can also include a hard shell case for an additional $50.

$1850 Shipped (USA) - SOLD
    Paypal, Bank Wire, or USPS Money Orders Accpeted.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  2. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2005
    Centennial, Colorado
    These are incredible instrument. I own one and it's been my first call jazz bass for many years. John builds these basses to be as close to a "real" vintage jazz bass as is humanly possible. They feel, look, sound and play like the "real" thing.....

The Bass Clef likes this.
  3. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird Supporting Member

That's a sweet deal right there.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  4. matt thompson

matt thompson Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Chucktown
    As a owner of one of John’s ‘66 these basses are exceptional! Absolutely love mine

5. jsxtal

jsxtal Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2008
    Ft. Worth
    Wow that is beautiful.

6. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    I wish I had never sold it back to you! I miss it. I'm thinking really hard how I can get a hold of this one.

7. Laklandfan

Laklandfan Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm a P guy, but drool.

8. FlatwoundFunk

FlatwoundFunk

Apr 16, 2015
    Atlanta, Ga
    I'm a little confused about your offering. Is this from a Fender master builder? And if not, is the Fender logo on the head stock a removable sticker? I'm interested in this bass but I need a little clarity. Thanks

9. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    John Kallas is well known on Talkbass and around the internet as a master guitar/bass builder... see his website here: johnk vintage basses but he does not work for Fender, although I believe he used to back in the day. And yes, the Fender decal is above the finish and easily removable (put a wet sponge over it for about a minute, dab it with a dry cloth, put some electrical tape over it and it will peel right off with the tape).

drums1977 and FlatwoundFunk like this.
  10. john allemond

john allemond Supporting Member

Lawd Have Mercy!

11. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    What a cool bass. Brian, would you say this sounds more like a 70's bass due to the pickups or does the 60's spacing still make it more 60's?

12. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    It still sounds more '60s to me, but with just a little more growl because of the 74 pickups. Originally I wanted to put 64 reissue pickups in it, but Fender stopped selling the 64s alone, so i went with the 74s. I think it worked out for the best tho, because these 74s with the 60s spacing made for a really awesome combo! (The bass came with Seymour Duncan "hot stacks" in it originally which I didn't care for because it's a vintage style bass, but the SD pickups didn't sound vintage at all).

klharper likes this.
  13. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Sounds like an interesting combination. Growl is good. :thumbsup:

14. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    As I understand from speaking with John, Fender did want him to work in their custom shop, but he wanted to keep running his music store and doing his own thing.

9mmMike likes this.
  15. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    Everytime I open this thread I look at the pics, then I walk slowly into the kitchen, I grab a big meat knife, put it on the kitchen counter and I stare at it, breathing heavily, for about 5 minutes.

Mistahbenn likes this.
  16. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

John's work is outstanding. I have three early 70's basses rebuilt/restored by him. Each one is a work of art and a real player. His scratch-builts like this one are really cool since he "hand picks" pretty much every part.

jumbodbassman likes this.
  17. RNG1

RNG1

Mar 1, 2015
    Super cool. If I didn’t have 2 things in the works right now I’d have a hard time staying away. That said I still went through the pics 2x

The Bass Clef and 9mmMike like this.
  18. totallywink

totallywink Gold Supporting Member

That is a beauty! Is the neck a U shape or C shape?

19. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    The neck is a C shape (not to be confused with a 1.5” “A” width nut, which this bass has). John shapes the necks on his ‘66 basses to feel very close if not exactly like a real 1966 Jazz C profile neck.

totallywink and FlatwoundFunk like this.
  20. Rayjay

Rayjay

Sep 27, 2014
    Lahaina, Maui, HI
    humina humina humina humina......