John Lester - Odd Fret Markers?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jnprather, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Hello,

There's a place in Berkeley, Ca, that does live concerts and does webcasts of them called imusicast. Anyway, I was checking out part of their archives:

And have been watching the performance by John Lester. Pretty awesome stuff. Solo URB and fretless 6-string electric performance with some very nice jazz vocals. You guys should definately check it out.

One question I do have for anybody who watches it: What the heck is up with his fret makers on his electric bass? At first I thought it was just a "neat design", but the fret markers at similar frets are uneven. It almost looks like some sort of even-tempered fret system, but heck if I can figure it out. Any ideas?

2. Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Wow, he's good:cool:

I like the second song "Ways of a Woman" with the six string a lot. The fret markers....umm no clue...would like to know myself now;)
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Yeah, he's got some great songs there. The markers may be some sort of inlay..I can't really tell myself.
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    As far as I can judge by the sound, he's playing a fretless bass.... so I'm pretty sure that rules out 'even-tempered fret system'. My guess would be 'pretty pattern'; I get the impression that Mr Lester has moved beyond relying on visual markers in his playing ;)

BTW, it's a great little set - thanks for mentioning it. Where can I find out more about John Lester (the website linked to from imusiccast was a domain holding site, and a little Googling didn't turn up much)?

5. Well yes, it's a fretless bass, which is why I thought it might be some sort of odd-tempered system. A Fretless bass would be perfect for that, just put the dots wherever they need to be.

As far as John Lester is concerned, I did a search, didn't find much myself.