Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Lockwood & The Fringe

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Sam Sherry, May 5, 2003.

1. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I saw a great double-bill this weekend: ROVA Sax Quartet and The Fringe -- George Garzone, John Lockwood and Bob Gullotti.

ROVA was great -- much joy and humor in their music, along with much quacking and honking.

So, Garzone steps out on stage, and says, "I dunno what to play. Doze guys played a lotta notes!" Here comes the head to Strangers in the Night, complete with the mother-of-the-bride modulation! Click: Gullotti pays a visit to Rashid Ali's neighborhood. Click: The Fringe launches into the most musically intense free-improv I've heard in years. While Lockwood and Gullotti chug like a Briggs & Stratton, Garzone spends two minutes exploring about nine false-fingered microtones across a whole-step and makes music out of it.

Y'know that funny feeling you get when you're on the way back in from Jupiter trying to land in Standard City? Here's how The Fringe solved the problem: They invented a slow standard, on the spot, with all the freshness of free improvisation and all the haunting beauty of a familiar refrain. It was the most riveting musical moment I have seen this year.

Oh yeah, Lockwood. I'll keep it short: He's a very fine musician with impeccable intonation and a gorgeous sound. Maybe if I play with my trio for thirty years I'll sound half as good. Maybe not, though.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I'm jealous! My tenor buddy, Sean Lyons from NY, turned me onto some cassettes of the Fringe long ago. Great stuff.