1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

John Madden hangs up his mic

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gard, Apr 16, 2009.

1. 'Tis a sad, sad day in the NFL. :(

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    wow,

first kalas (RIP), and now madden stepping down... its the end of an era.

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Read that this morning. Interesting timing. Then again, pretty fitting for Madden. If he'd announced it before this last season we'd have seen tributes and a big farewell ceremony and none of that seems very John Madden to me.

Unlike a lot of the seemingly phony statements when guys retire from coaching or broadcasting to "spend more time with their family" etc, I really believe every word in that report. You can say what you want about his performance in the broadcast booth, but there is no doubt about his passion for football.

4. Agree.

5. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    It'll definitely be weird. The guy's been in the booth pretty much my whole life.

You know what -- he never really bugged me. Joe Buck on the other hand . . .

I'll miss him but at 73 it just may be time to hang it up.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I don't feel so bad about this. I feel like he lost his edge a few years ago. Seemed like he was coasting on his rep and was more of an "act" recently. Like it was a canned presentation.

-Mike

7. JQ1986

JQ1986

Oct 30, 2008
    Rice Lake, WI
    I bet Bret Favre retiring has something to do with it...

8. Really? I never got that impression.

9. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I always liked when Madden was calling games. He was just fun. And they paired him with guys (Michaels, Summerall) who complimented him perfectly IMO.

And I don't want to derail this conversation, but I don't like Joe Buck at all. Both he AND Costas should stick to baseball. But nobody was worse than last year when Mike & Mike from ESPN called a game with Ditka. Iron Mike was fine, but the other two should never be allowed in a booth again.

Rumor has it that Collinsworth is up for Madden's now vacant spot. I think that would be a solid choice.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    No, I just made that up to present a different opinion since everyone was on the "oh bummer he is gone" bandwagon.

:D

-Mike

11. Haha! Jackass!

12. Hey, how about this guy?:

13. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Hopefully he disappears. And takes Dane Cook, Carlos Mencia and Larry the Cable Guy with him.

14. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    This guy defines NFL. I'm not a fan by any means but I have a ton of respect for Madden.

15. I listen to him just about every day on KCBS and will really miss him during NFL broadcasts. He just seems like a wonderful guy, and I hope he has a blast on the golf course...and in the steakhouse. :D

16. he annoyed the crap out of me. he knows his stuff.. and i will never discredit him in any way for that.. but like mentioned above, it seemed like he was there out of tradition, not for his football prowess.

like dick clark or bob barker.. its just an act at this point.

and im sure when brett farve retired for the first time, john had a stroke. the second time.. he likely just couldnt take any more.

17. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    how about Chris Kattan

18. Ugh...Collinsworth? :meh: I hope not... :scowl:...too whiny for me...

On the topic of guys you can't stand calling games: Will someone PLEASE shut Troy Aikman up? What a nimrod...he has to be the WORST color commentator ever...

19. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    All I can say is that I hope the door doesn't bump him on the ass too hard on the way out.