1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

John Mayer -something that sounds like it

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by trasser, Apr 30, 2009.

1. trasser

trasser

Dec 13, 2005
    Hello guys

I'm looking to start up a coverband, and lately I've been tripping a lot over John Mayer.
    Does any of you know about more bands that has the same (well, not the same, but, you know what I mean) sound and groove as him and his musicians have?

2. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    G-Love and Special Sauce, maybe Jack Johnson? I know Mayer covers some Hendrix and some Stevie Ray Vaughn as well, perhaps some choice selections from their catalogs could give you some ideas. What aspect of Mayer are you trying to cover? He's got some really hip (in my opinion) rock n' roll stuff going on with his live album "Try!", and then there's all his singer/songwriter stuff. "The Trio" has a totally different feel than any of his more mainstream albums (again, IMHO).

Hope this helps!
    --Lee

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Pete Yorn?

4. trasser

trasser

Dec 13, 2005
    Thanks for the answers. Sleplessknight, its something more like the "Try!" album exactly. Anyone else got somethin'? :)