1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

John Mayer Trio - Try! Album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by tplyons, Apr 15, 2006.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Just occurred to me the other day, somebody got in my car while I had JM3's Try! on the radio, and I Got a Woman came on. The kid in my car thought it was some messed up version of Kanye's Golddigger.

Frankly, it's appalling that many people don't know the original classic songs that are sampled in rap songs, especially Kashmir with P. Diddy and I Got a Woman with Kanye.

Long story short, there are 11 songs on the album. I know at least a few are covers off the top of my head. I know these were the original artists for the songs mentioned, who wrote the rest?

1. Who Did You Think I Was
    2. Good Love is on the Way
    3. Wait Until Tomorrow - Jimi Hendrix Experience
    4. Gravity
    5. Vultures
    6. Out of My Mind
    7. Another Kind of Green
    8. I Got a Woman - Ray Charles
    9. Something's Missing - John Mayer
    10. Daughters - John Mayer
    11. Try!

Who did the ones I didn't list? Are they all original JM songs?

2. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I'm pretty sure that "Who Did you think i was" is an original. Its a really great album. Solid the whole way through. I hope that the trio gets in the studio and makes a non-live album. :hyper:

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I think it might be too, but I can't find any record of it before JM3, and it doesn't say in the CD case.

Personally, I hope they don't do a studio album. I think they should stick to live albums which capture the energy :)

4. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Im pretty sure it was a one album deal. John MAyer has already recorded his next album which does feature a few studio versions of sum JM3 songs with the lineup , but Steve Jordan helped produce the album and he played alot.

5. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    I believe the rest are Mayer's originals, based on the lyrical style. They're very "Mayer."

6. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    good album i dig it and own it

7. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Don't know what copy/version of this CD you guys have, but on the back of the front cover on mine it clearly states:
    "All words and music by John Mayer, published by Sony/ATV tunes LLC (ASCAP)/Specific Harm Music (ASCAP). Except "Good Love Is On The Way", "Vultures", "Try" written by John Mayer, Steve Jordan, & Pino Palladino, published by Sony/ATV tunes LLC (ASCAP)/Specific Harm Music (ASCAP)/Jovo Publishing (BMI)/Onip Music, "Wait Until Tomorrow" written by Jimi Hendrix, published by Experience Hendrix LLC (ASCAP), "I Got A Woman" written by Ray Charles and Renald Richards, published by Hill & Range Songs.:cool:

8. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Greetings, "I-save-the-liner-notes-guy," from the planet "damn-I-hate-it-when-my-cat-craps-on-the-liner-notes."

9. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Great disc. Pino smokes.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I hate you.

Just kiddin.

Kinda.

No really, I'm kidding.

Thanks! :) :) :)

11. JazzBassMayn

JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    I was under the impression that Steve Jordan and Pino are recording the new studio album with John and it is due out some time this spring. The new album is going to have three of the songs from Try! and the rest new material. That's just what I've read.

12. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    he should stop, its bad for his health. :D However, he is still a great bassist!

13. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Well....not really.
    They're just part of the CD case and I couldn't figure how you all seemed to be unable to find this info.

Don't tell me you all are "I-throw-all-my-CD-cases-away-guys". :eyebrow: :smug: :D

14. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    bt.etree has a torrent up of a "secret show" from 4/10, Mayer debuting the tunes from his new album, and it includes studio versions of many of the songs listed above. I burned this, but I have yet to listen to it.

15. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I never really heard Pino play on anything before. Wow! He sure has some tasty bass lines. The trio setting gives him more room for playing more complicated bass lines and he always strikes the balance of filling the space without going overboard. I've found a new bassist to add to my list of favorites.

16. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    Sure you have:

- Michael McDonald
    - Eric Clapton
    - Rod Stewart
    - BB King
    - Jeff Beck
    - Tears for Fears
    - Phil Collins
    - Peter Gabriel
    - David Sanborn
    - Celine Dion
    - Roger Daltrey
    - Vinnie Colaiuta

I think you get the point. He is THE British session guy. Well, he's Welsh.

17. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    How about, probably, his best known work: Paul Young?

I believe he played on some Don Henley stuff also (Sunset Grill?).

18. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Most of those are not in my typical play list. John Mayer Trio is the first time I've heard him in a featured role. I've always known the name, but couldn't really tell you a particular song that he played on.

19. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Try was also the first time I acually got to hear Pino . I had heard his name time and time again and when I got the album i knew why there were so many great things said about him. Has anyone heard anything else about John's New cd?

20. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Pino has been a fav, of mine for a long time.
    TRY- is one of my fav- CD's of the year.
    New Mayer CD, due out this summer. Pino and Steve are both on it.