1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

John Mayer's current band sounds great!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Garagiste, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Lots of complains in the comments but I think this is a solid set. And very tasty bass playing. P-bass with flats + SVT= yes.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Sean Hurley is a great player! Mayer always has smokin' bands!

3. oh, where the shag did pino go?

still sounds great, but damn.

4. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't think Pino played with the band just the Trio side project

5. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

Sean Hurley is one of the best working bass players today. I've seen him with many bands and he just nails it all day, all night. He can transcribe solos, he can play donna lee with a bow on upright, he can play eighth notes like it's nobody's business.

bassfart likes this.
  6. Totally don't like the country stuff. Does nothing for me. The other tunes are really good.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  7. Bassfreakz

Bassfreakz Lovin The Low End

Apr 14, 2014
    Singapore
    BRING BACK THE OLD MAYER!! I would love to see him play some blues again. That was his golden era, for his music that is. Not for the other parts of his life.

8. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    I dig the new stuff Mayer is doing... I like the country vibe, especially Born and Raised, not a throwaway on the whole album. I also agree about Sean being a top-notch player. I got to meet him a long time ago when he was with Vertical Horizon - really good guy too.

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I dig the Mayer's Laurel Canyon-ish work lately too, I don't mind when artist change it up. I dug Vertical Horizon too, I have their DVD with Sean around here somewhere.

10. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Hurley's playing and his sound are superb.