Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Mayer's "No Such Thing"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by gfab333, Jun 9, 2002.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Have you heard John Mayer's hit song called "No Such Thing". It's got a very cool bass line. Very good groove, with some real nice harmonic and melodic riffs thrown in. Listen all the way through the hook in the chorus.

2. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    The only reason I even have listened to that song is because in the video it shows the bassist all over the neck, so when I flipped to the channel I saw him grooving and kept watching to see what it was. It is a really cool bassline

3. His album has some pretty cool basslines as well.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yes, I agree. I think the first time I saw John, he was on Carson Daily. I was on TB the first thing the next day asking who his bass player was. He's definatley awesome. I totally dig his sunburst Jazz bass.

John Mayer is the only artist that came out recently that I like. I really dig his style. His guitar playing reminds me a lot like Dave Matthews meaning, he's not a guitar god, but he has a very interesting chord vocabulary.

5. His guitar playing isn't the only Matthews-ish thing. Sometimes I think Room for Squares is the album Matthews was trying to make when he and Glen Ballard wrote Everydays.

Their fanbases are pretty much identical as well. Look at all the sorority girl types in the audience in the "No Such Thing" video :rolleyes:

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    well I must say I do dig John mayer. I saw him live and his bass player can play some good grooves. I like his tone also nice and growly live. The very last song they played, the bassist took a solo.. nothing fancy.. until the end where he started to do a tasty slap lick. But hey, not everyone is going to like him..

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    He is a guitar god. He just hides his chops, 'cause it scares off the chicks who are attracted to his sensitivo-manboy image.

8. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    When I first heard this I thought it WAS a new Dave Matthews song (forget the guitar similarities, what about the voice???). I DO dig the song though. I heard the whole CD on a listening station at Tower. This is definately the best song on the album as far as I'm concerned.

9. I disagree, I think Neon is the best song as far as composition, lyrics, and guitar playing.

10. nikofthehill

nikofthehill

Jul 30, 2001
    san jose, CA
    next thing you know he'll start calling his band "The John Mayer Band" :rolleyes:
    -nik

11. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Could be. I just didn't hear anything that caught my ear as much as the single.

12. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I agree! After I listened to the whole album at a Virgen Super Store, I ended up thinking that this song was the best song on the album.

13. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    No Such Thing or Neon?

14. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    No Such Thing is my favorite. The bass part does some interesting things within the framework of the song. Nothing that's real difficult, but it pretty tasty.

Neon does have a great bass and drum groove and very nice guitar work.

15. I don't get all the Matthews comparisons, but I think the album itself isn't that great, especially considering his talents. I have downloaded some songs from his acoustic only album and it sounds so much cooler. He did say that his next album would be much more bluesy than this one.

16. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I agree Bassline 1414, the rest of the album isn't that great. So, I didn't buy it.

17. I saw this live performance of him playing just a nylon string guitar and he was doing all these extended improvised intros and it was so cool. He's obviously well versed in jazz and blues music. He needs to release a solo live album because I think it sounds a lot better than his singer-songwriter style stuff.

18. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    When I first heard the tune, I thought John was a much older cat. Imagine my surprise when I found out he was only a little bit older than me!

In terms of comparisons... work with me here... when sings "I wanna scream at the top of my lungs," to me he sounds JUST like Pete Townshend. But that's just me.

I'm a sucker for pop rock. Every once in a while a tune will come along that just sticks to me, even though it's nothing spectacular. "No Such Thing" is one of those, and I'm definitely considering buying the album.

19. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I agree, he is one talented cat. Isn't he from Berklee?

I really dig a lot of the singer songwriter stuff. Just a few weeks ago I caught Joan Osborne on Tv. She definatley doesn't get the credit she deserves.

20. I am a bouncer at a club and have seen him twice. the first time Howie day open up and I thought Day got the better response from me and the crowd. But the thing I don't like a bout Mayer is he simply shreds on some things live and yet they put this punk hippie dave matthew poop out as the single. Damn dirty record labels....

ALso his bass player used a Squire P bass and a little Avalon U5 and it was some monster tone. goes to show you how good Avalon is.