1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

John Myung´s technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Erlendur Már, Aug 12, 2000.

1. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I recently bought the Myung bass video, and he showed his right hand technique....he played with inex and middle, index, middle and ring, and with index and ring..(?) I was wondering if anyone knows WHY he play with index and ring..

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Why NOT? Whatever is comfortable...

hintz and Les Fret like this.
  3. he probably does it because he likes to play like that... :rolleyes: hehe... I don´t think many people can answer to that...

sorry elli... svona er það nú..

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    maybe because the index and ring fingers are both about the same length, so maybe he feels that he can get a more even attack out of that, or maybe better timing. i don't know definitively, though.

gebass6 likes this.
  5. HBxSAUCE

HBxSAUCE

Mar 16, 2018
    I play like this sometimes. Just feels natural and comfortable and sometimes makes transitioning to 3 finger technique in a song easier.

hintz likes this.
  6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    This thread is 18 years old.

Axstar likes this.
  7. HBxSAUCE

HBxSAUCE

Mar 16, 2018
    Cool

gebass6 and hintz like this.
  8. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    same here, Bryan Beller does this as well.

After playing with 3 fingers for 20 years your ring finger will get fast and often take the place normally reserved for the middle.

Lately I've had to revisit "traditional" 2 finger technique so it's not so alien to me and I've relied on 3 too much(which can limit you on string skipping)

9. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    It's an instructional video...he is just showing finger independence in his 3 finger plucking technique most likely. And sectioning off just using the middle and ring/index and ring might be a good exercise to accomplish it.

10. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    I play almost exclusively with index and ring, and the even length is a major factor. It does give more even attack, but also makes for string crossing and skipping more comfortable, as it is equally easy to start and end the phrase on either finger. With traditional index/middle, I always struggled when the middle finger is on the lower string and index on the higher, especially since the angle of the forearm in relation to the body of the bass guitar is not so conducive to index/middle use as it is the case with upright.