Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Myung: a matter of a genius...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by GravityZero, Aug 2, 2002.

1. In fact, there is now a bizarre period when John Myung is being way more "distant" and "background". So let's come back some year before.

1992: Dream Theater releases its second album "Images and Words". It is less "heavy" than the first one("When Dream and Day Unite"), surely hoping to rally more people after having welcome James LaBrie as a new singer. I think there is just one song every bassist has to listen to, it's "Metropolis Part 1: The Miracle and The Sleeper". The tapping is just impressive, a pure instant of bravery.

1993-1998: Lives and purely commercial albums, where DT acquires notoriety, almost in the US.

1999 and after: The album "Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory" brings back the spirit of "Images and Words" changing the structure of the keyboard. In the first days of 2002, the album "Six Degrees of Inner turbulence" has been released. It is maybe a bit lower for bass, but still excellent

IMHO, even if Metropolis Part 1 is the most impressive "instrumental song"(it's not wholly an instrumental, there are lyrics at the begining and end), the best album of DT remains Scenes From a Memory.

Some don't believe me. Well listen to these Dream Theater songs and come back after ;) :
    - Metropolis Part 1 (album: Images and Words)
    - Erotomania (album: Awake)
    - The Dance of Eternity (album: Metropolis Part 2 Scenes From a Memory)
    - The Great Debate (album: Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence)

When you've got true arguments, please tell me, I want some constructive minds :) (indeed, you noticed, that I'm not connstructive)

Thank you :)

2. Julien

Julien

Dec 29, 2001
    Paris,France
    well.......i just hat dream theater..........

guess that was not very constructive;)

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    What kind of hat did you put on them?

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I loved Awake, and I think (most of the time) that it's their strongest album.

John Myung does a good job, even his tone improved a lot, judging from the Metropolis 2000 DVD. It's really worth buying, even if it's just because A Change Of Seasons is on there.

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    well since this is talking more about recordings that it is Myungs bass playing, im moving it to recordings.

IMO Images and Words and Awake are by far their 2 best Cd's

BTW...I cant stand Lebrie on most of the stuff I hear from them.

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    i just bought "A change of seasons" and "Metropolis pt 2" and i cant... CAN'T!!... stop listening to both

those two are my fave DT albums

reading the lyric booklet and listening to the "Metropolis pt2 scenes of a memory" is a good experience... progressive Opera at its best!

7. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I like some of Dream Theaters stuff...the stuff without vocals...GAH, I hate their vocals, they are so bad-80's.

8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X..........Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning..................Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.............Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning................Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......Pain of Salvation......Fates Warning......Symphony - X.....Vanden Plas......

9. Besides DT, one of the greatest bands in progressive music. Metal + Prog Stuff = Symphony-X (good blend, BTW)

Michael Romeo has some incredible sharp riffs... pretty good work on the thin-neck instrument.

EBP

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    you left out "Spiral Architect"... although they do have a lousy singer too

11. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    That, too me, pretty much describes what Dream Theater had become....

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Another great prog band has to be Spock's Beard. I have V and totally dig the album. Where as DT is more influenced by Rush and Kansas, SB is has more of a Yes vibe going on.

13. The reason why Awake and Images and Words was good is because Kevin Moore (old Keyboardist) made most of the songs.

14. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I listened to Awake for the first time in quite a while a few days back. Through a good stereo system, fairly loud. I skipped tracks 2 and 3 (which I never liked), but the rest almost made me come in my pants... :D I never thought it was THAT good before.

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

I liked Kevin Moore more than the other keyboardists they've had. Seems like they're not the same without him. Jordan Rudis (sp) is great as well, and a much better addition than that Derrick Sheridin (sp)

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've never heard Jordan, so I can't comment. Kevin played the keys as more of a lead instrument. Honesty, there are times that I can't tell him from Petrucci. Derrick seemed to be more into texures and atmosphere in his key/synth work. I think he did a good job, but I also prefer Kevin.

17. Murtz

Murtz

Jun 27, 2001
    The Glass Prison - You gota love that intro and the first wah wah riff :p

Home - god that voicebox + wah is ownage and the pure weigth of the song

My two favorits

18. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    IMO Progressive should be without vocals for the most part. Since instrumentals get most of the votes in general. -Luke

19. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    John Myung is an excellent bass player, very underrated. Dream Theater is very different and innovative, which is good, and did I mention, John Myung rules!

20. Idk about you guys, but I'm hooked on 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence...I borrowed it to someone a week ago, and now I'm going through withdrawl. The only other DT album I have is ...Scenes From a Memory.

Are there any other ones I should check out?