Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Myung!!! (again)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Drop_D, Aug 2, 2001.

1. I´d like to "ear" some opinions from you guys about Myung. I Think he is probably the best progressive rock/metal bass player. In his work you would find some clever melodic twist, some "fast like hell" scale runs and some amazing taped solos.

2. lol

lol Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Lyon (France)
    I saw him 3 times live and 2 times backstage, and I have to agree he's one of the best bassist around!
    He's very kind (and very shy too), has an incredible technique and a very good sense of melody and harmony.
    He forms, with the exhuberant Mike Portnoy, one of the best rhythm section in progressive rock.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, he's very cool - i've seen them 5 or 6 times so far. he just needs to make sure that he is around when they mix the album - his bass parts are almost always mixed too quietly.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    He's without a doubt a very good player, only issue i have with them is on the cd's his mix is usually very week, even the times i saw them live and heard live cd's of them, i wasnt overly impressed with the mix he got...sounded horrible.

5. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    He´s one of my fav bassists, he has an incredible technique and a good sense of harmony and melody (like lol said..) I have his video and it´s very good.

6. I´m glad i´m not the only one to "love" Myung. Although discording from most of you guys i like the mix he gets in his cds, Not that "crunchy power" bass sound, but a consistent and very integrated sound with the rest of the Group. Definitely a great talent in a virtuoso´s band

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i think he's got a pretty decent sound on the Awake CD

8. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Myung is awesome, definitely the kind of bass player that band needed from the start.

I thought his sound was most agressive on Falling into Infinity.

9. What are some Dream Theater songs that show off Myung's talent? I'm not looking for speed or chops, but for great bass lines.

10. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Here's some:

Ytse Jam (Majesty backwards, original band name)
    Learning to Live
    6:00
    Scarred
    Lines in the Sand
    Scenes from a Memory (there are highlights for just about everyone throughout the album)

11. Scarred (great inicial tapping)
    New millenium
    Ytse Jam
    The entire Scenes from a memory album
    Take the time
    Learning to live
    Change of seasons
    Pull me under
    6:00
    and many many more....

12. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    guys what songs are good to notice his "greatness" I haven't heard him since he was in Syphoney X now I have no clue were he is :)

13. ?????? Symphony X ????????
    Are you sure you are on the right thread? :)

14. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    yea he was in there before he went to dream theater I think?

15. lol

lol Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Lyon (France)
    John Myung has NEVER been in SymphonyX, he was a founder member of Dream Theater back in 1986 when the band was called Majesty!
    But he's member of some side projects like Platypus or Gordian Knot..

16. Exactly lol , Myung was a founder member of Majesty.

17. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Sorry, I apologize for my lack of knowledge of John.
    Please forgive me :(

18. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    lol, the new emoticon boxes make them as irresistable as ever :p