Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Myung Effect question?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jammadave, Dec 19, 2003.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    okay, on DT's Awake album, first song "6:00" - at 00:54 you can hear Johnny playin' the bass riff almost solo. At that point, the bass tone is very different than it is later in the song, it sounds like not quite an overdrive, but not quite a synth patch and definitely an odd tone if in fact it's un-effected.

So, what's that tone?

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    The bassline is also doubled by synth at that point, by both Kevin Moore on the recording and by later keyboardists Derek Sherinian and Jordan Rudess.

3. otnemeM

otnemeM

Oct 29, 2002
    Ovar, Portugal
    Okay, as far as I know that's just him with that wee bit of overdrive and the characteristic tone of the Tung basses.
    Back then he was still using two TriAxis, so my guess is that he has a light OD on.

Actually I'm trying to find out about a OD Pedal that can give that light-and-bassy-OD-type-of-effect, so if by now you (or anyone) knows about one of those - preferatly with 2.band eq at least - let me know :)

I thought about a simple Boss ODB-3 but I hear that it give more of a distortion sound rather than OD... gotta try one anyway :rolleyes: