1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

John Myung & Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by metallist, Feb 28, 2008.

1. ^^^

Does he use them - if so, what are they?

My mate saw him in Melbourne and said that he was using them (although he didn't look used to using them as he forgot to engage a few during certain songs!)

**I was not too sure which forum to post this in - I guess that it could with be the Bassists forum or the Effect forum. Sorry in advance** :bag:

Cheers, Simon

2. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I see him have a set of effect in front of him all the time when on stage during the concert. So i take it he probably used them but i think he don't use them over the top. I like his tone on all his songs.

3. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    I know he uses that prototype Mesa-Boogie TriAxis Bass system.

4. I am not familiar with Mesa products...

Please explain.

5. Google is your friend, Pauline!

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I know he uses distortion for the beginning of "As I Am."

7. I don't know about his effects, but in most national bands, there can very well be a sound guy engaging and disengaging his pedals for songs. Of course they give him control at his feet too....thats why you dont see him change things.

8. I hate players that use effects but get other people to adctivate/de-activate them.
    It is cheating.

9. Mayers

Mayers Guest

Sep 28, 2007
    It looks like multi-effect with a volume pedal. I think he only changes EQ with his multi during song or before the song.

10. That link was only for the guitar version of the Tri-Axis, which is a dang cool preamp. I had no idea that Mesa was doing anything for a bass version.

11. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Well they did but I don't think it ever got past being a prototype. Somebody on here owns one, I forget who. Can anybody enlighten us?

12. I realise that, but it gives you an idea what a bass prototype version is gonna be about.

13. The Bass TriAxis has been discussed/disputed/put to rest well before TB came to exist: from my memory, it was a swap-out of 20-30 capacitors and other electronics mainly to change the EQ into Bass territory. Mesa (wisely) never got beyond the prototype stage as at the time ('94-'95) guitarists in general and especially bassists, who rarely used rackmounted digital pre's like it other than ADA and the ART Nightbass, were dropping them for heads and preamp/poweramp units. Benjamin Strange has one of the few prototype that made it out.... the bastage. ;)

As for Myung effects, from his Wikipedia page (that I expanded greatly after his last major BP interview in Augest of '05, he uses two Demeter HBP-1 preamps, a Demeter VTDB-2B mono tube direct box, Demeter HXC-1 optical compressor, Ashdown ABM RPM-1 EVO II preamp and ABM APM 1000 Evo II power amp, a Pearce BC-1 preamp, and a Framptone 3-Banger to switch between varying degrees of overdrive and distortion from his preamps. As for effects, he runs an Eventide DSP4000 Ultra-Harmonizer for chorus, harmonization, and time-based effects. He says, "I dig the Hyper Quad setting on the Eventide. It makes for a great wide, spatial effect that really brings my bass sound to life, especially live."

14. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp

So from that I'd say the Pearce is being used for Distortion and the Ashdown for Overdrive those 2 sounds aren't that hard to replicate its the eventide that will kill you :p unless the modfactor does those sounds