John Myung: Humble? Shy? or Overshadowed?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, Aug 21, 2005.

1. I noticed that I've watched and listened to alot of dream theater's live stuff, and there never seems to be a bass solo. Everyone else seems to get one, but not my good friend Johnny boy. Do you guys rekon he doesnt want to? or maybe he doesnt think he's good enough? or because the others wont let him?
  2. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I am not the expert on dream theater, but from what I've seen it looks like Portnoy and Petrucci are the more dominant personalities, which is too bad for DT.
  3. i saw this one myung bass solo that was floating around on some file-sharing program that seemed pretty cool, but it was short...
  4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I think he's shy and overshadowed.
  5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    All three. ;)

By all accounts both others members of DT and JM himself have commented that his lack of soloing live is entirely his call. From all interviews I've read he doesn't consider himself a "solo bassist" and feels uncomfortable in that role.

...but there's the overshadowed aspect as well, and where you're in a band where virtually every song can be classified as a "solo" and where Rudess and Petrucci have dedicated solos almost every show (Portnoy a fair amount as well) I can see why he wouldn't want to push for one. For better or worse, he's developed into the "bassist in the background" image that we publicly have. Anyone who's seen the "Live in Tokyo" DVD or even earlier footage would be amazed at how much he used to move around on-stage. It seems that while recording "I&W" producer David Prater had JM tone down his more than just his "lead/counterpoint bass" sound. :scowl:

Then again, it's nice to be one of the two members of the band with their egos in check. :smug:

AFAIK Myung only soloed a few times on DT's "Music in Progress" tour in '92, so if it's live and a flurry of notes and taping followed by a harmonic pattern which Petrucci soloing over it, it's "Moon Bubbles".

More likely by your mentioning of "short", it's either "Solar Groove" (a solo chordal/arpeggiated piece) or "Freeport Jam" (a solo with Portnoy and Sherinian backing him) off his Instructional video "Progressive Bass Concepts".
  6. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    I've got some of his Jelly Jam stuff, not a lot of solo's but he stretches out a little more.
  7. sheehan_17

Jun 3, 2005
    he plays a sweet bass solo in the ytse jam, you can see it on their images and words dvd.
  8. Dance of Eternity, Metropolis Pt. 1, and Ytse Jam all have bass solos.
  9. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I heard that JM is going to be retiring from playing very soon. I think he wants to concentrate on teaching....

I could be wrong, but this is what I heard...
  10. That is very sad, I'd hate to see him leave. I am seeing them on tuesday so hopefully it won't be the last time I see them with Myung! That'd suck...
  11. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Good for him. It's about time he ditched DT, Rudess Portnoy and Petrucci are intolerably wanky. It must get pretty old dealing with those kinds of egos.

Anyway, my feeling on Myung is threefold:

1. He is not musically versatile. He does one thing, which is rock. Not a bad thing in and of itself, but he's a particularly bland player.

2. It's my opinion that not only is he shy, but insecure as well. He practices three hours a day still. I know bass players that are just amazing and blow JM out of the water, and only practice for a half hour every day. Practicing that much can't be helping him very much at all.

3. He is hugely overrated by his fans, who put him up on this pedastal and propogate the myth that he has some kind of superhuman ability to be an amazing and versatile bass player, we just haven't seen him do it. Silly, if you ask me.

Anyway, those are my VERY PERSONAL opinions being a former Dream Theater fanboy.
  12. Malodorous

May 19, 2005
    He played violin, went to school for music and chooses to lay back in the role of bassist for Dream Theater. I don't know a whole lot about Dream Theater, but I was under the impression that John Myung was very versatile.
  13. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    I think hes really good, and not overrated, ive got the New york 2000: scenes from new york dvd, he does a bass solo and lots of good bass work, fills everywhere.. good player.
  14. I think he's a phenomanal player and I don't see him quitting DT any time soon at all. But if he does quit, Tony Levin is a good replacement :-D

15. That might hurt Portnoy's ego a little too much........
  16. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    He dropped out of Berklee to devote all his time to Dream Theater. That tells me that he wanted to focus entirely on rock.
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I completely agree with Snarf.
  18. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Maybe. Or, to look at it another way: he's a gifted bass player whose main music style is rock.

It may be that he's practicing a lot to be able to endure those lengthy shred-fest DT songs for four hours a night, like an athlete needs to keep in shape.
    (I'm using some DT songs in my practice routine for that very purpose, namely Erotomania (for warming up) and 6:00 (for endurance).)

Possible. I don't know any Myung fans personally. He is an amaxing bass player, we've seen that; though perhaps not all that versatile.

Me, I think JM does a very good job in DT. He plays to support the songs (not his ego (does he even have an ego?)) and that's what a bass player is, IMHO, supposed to do.
    What's more is that, to my knowledge, he's come up with quite a number of excellent unison lines, riffs and themes for DT material. Listen to the commentary on the Metropolis pt.2 DVD for some examples.
  19. I don't really dig him, but that made me respect him a whole lot more. Impressing.

20. John WHO???????? :p

sorry had to do that.

i like his style and he should push abit harder i IMHO