Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Myung in Toronto !!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Turlu, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I saw John Myung playing last night with Dream Theater.

The Band was great and John Myung is a great bass player but... I am not a fan of his sound. It seems it does not cut through, IMHO. He is a highly technical bass player but also forgets to smile when playing !!!

2. He was probably way too concentrated to smile all the time, he is a very nice guy though. I really like his playing style, one of my biggest influences.....

btw. don't know if anyone here has already heard John Myung's new cd with Rod Morgenstein and Ty Tabor (Jelly Jam), it rules!!!

3. Hey guys,

Glad to hear John has some fans here.

I'm a DT freak, and love John's work. It's really too bad I couldn't make it to the show.

4. yep, John sure has some fans here, IMO Dream Theater rules! Can't wait to see them live again.....

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I wonder if we have listened to the same thing.

WFYB

6. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Dream Theater Rules!!!........

I saw them perform Copenhagen in january!!

It was fantastic!! John is so cool, but he could smile a bit more :D

7. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I'm going to see DT tomorrow night!

AAA seats, left stage, Tower Theater (Phila, PA).

I can't wait for the show. The last time I saw them was on the I&W tour.

8. FunkFlo-Mofo

FunkFlo-Mofo

Jun 22, 2001
    I saw DT at the State Theater in Detroit on Tuesday. They ROCKED. Myung had a new Yamaha (yuck), this time with one MM humbucker. His sound was huge. Oh yeah, JP is a guitar GOD.

9. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I caught the two-night stand in Chicago last weekend (Second night - DT covers Metallica's "Master of Puppets" - dare I say better than the original?), and while I absolutely agree that they blew the house down, I must say that from where I was I loved Myung's new JM6 prototype. I didn't want to post about it until I received some solid information from Yamaha (My emails have been bouced from Yamaha USA to Japan and back again... :rolleyes: ), but here's what I can tell:
    • A smaller body that the current RBX-JM6 (one of the main complaints that I've read about) with rounded body edges.
    • One soapbar pickup in the traditional "MusicMan" position. This goes with the information I reported in this thread on the modification to his main "bluegreen" bass.
    • The new prototype also appears to have the assumed volume/pan/stacked treble/bass pot layout as the green prototype but without the mini-switch).
    • The "monorail"-type bass bridge seen on the new BB Nathan East II bass. Black hardware as well. (Bridge, tuners, and knobs)
    I've emailed Yamaha about information on the body/neck/fretboard wood, pickup model (Yamaha or aftermarket?), and whether is a custom bass for John, or a prototype for a new JM6 model (I've heard "behind the scenes" that it is indeed a prototype, and will be introduced at Summer NAMM, but I'm waiting for conformation). I'll post any new information as it becomes available.

[​IMG]

10. wow, that's one nice bass! I want one!

Hopefully DT will be back here soon, I would really like to here that bass in action...

btw. what would you guys think of a "the jelly jam" tour? I really like the album and it would be cool to hear the songs live!

11. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Ok I saw them last night, awesome show!! My seats turned out to be front row, left stage, in the pit! I was belly up to the stage in front of Myung the whole show. I must confess however that I was watching Petrucci most of the time lol. :D I would probably be fixated on Myung a lot more if he would actually look up. Like somene said, he never smiles. Not only that, but he never even looks up.

I was literally a mic stand's distance from Myung, and I could see everything on the bass pretty well. My contacts were a little blurry, I think a little dried out from all the smoke coming from the stage.

I couldn't make out the name in white letters on the pickup. It almost looked like it said 'MUSICMAN'. I don't know though, since it's a six string. I thought the two tone headstock looked really cool in black and silver. One other thing I noticed was the infinity inlay crosses on the 12th fret now. A small distinction, but I think I recall some people complaining that they didn't like how the previous model had the inlay cross on the 13th fret.

It was hard to make out the fingerboard with all the colored lighting. It did look brown to me though, not the stark black contrast of ebony.

As far as the show, it was awesome as usual. I couldn't believe the tickets I had, it was very exciting. I should have jumped on stage when they were done to grab Myung's set list as a memento, but I was focused on getting out of the theater. My fiancee got to shake hands with several of them at the stage when they were through. I got a couple high fives myself in there too. Very cool. :)

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Musicman pickups don't have labels.
    And I doubt EB sell their technology to Yahama or any other competitor.

13. very cool Seamus! man I want to see them live again now!!!!

14. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I realize they don't have labels, nor 6 string pickups afaik. I included inference suggesting I was unable to discern the writing on the pickup. I just said it 'almost' looked like that word.

15. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    The pickup could have been a basslines model by seymore duncan?

I checked out the DT show in Detroit, and it did indeed rock. I love the band, and I love Myung's playing. I also like his demeanor, especially in contrast to the rest of the band. He makes the theatrics and (portnoy's) goofiness seem all the more outlandish. I mean, I love the band. They absolutely rule, and I think Myung compliments the band well. His lack of animation just adds a little something to the mix IMO, and he makes everything look so effortless. Beautiful and fluid.

16. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Yeah, maybe that could be it. The name on the pickup looked to be about 8-9 letters long, block lettering, all in caps. I'm curious just to know what it said. Guess we may find out eventually.