Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Myung on Images & Words

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Oysterman, Oct 20, 2000.

1. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I just listened to Dream Theater's I&W album. I have been wondering for some time now how John Myung did get that sound of his on that particular CD. Call me a perv or something, but I love the sound of that bass! What bass was he using (Tobias Killer B?), amps, FX?

Anyone?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm pretty sure he was playing pre-gibson tobiases, signature 6 and 5 i think, if i remember the live show correctly.

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

In a home video it showed some studio out-takes of them recording. And it shows him using a Spector and 4-string.

Ive read that he recorded with a 4 string and then played a 6 string live.

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that very well could be - there didn't seem to be too much on that album that required the extended range strings, iirc. i know that on WDADU he had a customized music-man

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    ...that sounded like ****! :D Well, it may not be as much the bass, as John M himself and producer Terry Date... :)

I did know that he used a four string at least on parts of I&W, but I didn't know how often or what brand. I couldn't identify the instrument shown on the video, but indeed, Spector it must be... um, can they sound like that!? Huh, must be the amp, right?

6. John Myung recorded everything on "Images & Words" with a Spector 4-string. After the album was done, he made the switch to 6-string.

7. Well, Myung said in a BP mini-article a few years ago that he recorded the whole album with a Spector 4 and then switched to 6 for the tour, so that's what I was going off of. He might have tuned down on the album here and there.

8. Given how much of a debt DT owes to King's X, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if some of the songs on Images and Words are in drop-D.

JT, you're actually pretty close when you say Myung used pre-Gib Tobiases--he actually used basses built by Nicholas Tung, who was one of Tobias' luthiers in LA. (Mark Warr, of Warr Guitars, was another prominent one.) Unfortunately, Nick Tung stopped making basses after about 100 or so, and Yamaha threw lots of money at Myung, so now John Myung uses his Yamahas live. I wouldn't be surprised if he used his Tungs to record Falling into Infinity and Scenes from a Memory, though.

It's a shame that he has such awful tone. One would think that a guy who uses nothing but Mesa/Boogie stuff would have at least some midrange to his tone, but obviously not...

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, i know for a fact that he was playing a 5 string red tobias at the images and words concert at the masquerade in atlanta, as well as at the center stage in atlanta the following year.

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Umm... the bass on the Live in Tokyo video is definitely a 6-string Tobias (the headstock proves it). On the studio photo from Awake though, it's a Tung. And Myung has said himself that the instruments he used on FII/SFAM are all Yamahas, plus some Chapman Stick on FII.
    He has a quite awful tone nowadays, especially on SFAM, no doubt, and when they were playing live in Solna, Sweden on this tour he was barely audible (thank heavens... or...?). Not even during his (boring) solo was anyone able to hear him.

And JT - 5 string? Are you sure?

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, pretty sure, i think it might have been his backup bass. i remember thinking "i thought he was playing a 6 these days" but i'm almost certain it was a 5 - i was up against the stage right in front of him - there were only about 300 people or maybe even less at the show. yay atlanta :rolleyes:

12. Yep, I was at that show too. The red Tobias he was playing was a 6.. and he had a 5 sitting on a stand, but I don't think he ever picked it up.

13. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    what do they owe king's x?

14. I've seen Dream Theater twice in Cincinnati this year and John Myung was playing a Yamaha RBX6JM. I swear I saw him with a fretless TRB6 on "5 Years in a Livetime". I have a tourbook from this year's tour. In a photo from a session for WDADU, he had a J-bass. But the photos of WDADU have him with a Music Man Stingray. On I&W, it was a Spector 4-string. "Live in Tokyo" was a Tobias 6 string. Then it was the Tung on "Awake" and "A Change of Seasons". FII and SFAM it's Yamaha. If I had the money to buy a Yamaha RBX6JM, I would.

15. joejet

joejet

May 1, 2003
    Denmark
    He hits a low C#, I know that.