John Myung Progressive Bass Concepts Video

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassist 4 life, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Hey =D!

Anyone own this video? If so can you post your opinions on it, and will it help me even if I have a 4 string bass? Plus can you tell me what he covers in the video?
  2. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I'll sum up the whole thing: learn arpeggios.

About 70% of the video is Myung playing a million different permutations of major/minor/diminished/augmented arpeggios going around the circle of 5ths and connecting each chord by root-to-3rd or root-to-5th. I found it to be pretty useless. His use of harmonics is rudimentary, as is his use of scales.

There are better places to spend your money.
  3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    And the question about the 4 strings, no I guess it can help you, but every song on it uses the high C.
  4. Mmhmm, thanks :D.The topics in the video are pretty interesting though... Oh and Petary, I wont have a lot of problems with the high C, its the low B Il have problems with.

So what videos would you recommend that include slapping,soloing,arpeggios/scales, and tapping?
  5. AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    Yes, definently.

I got it when I had played for ½ a year and it didn't help me as much as I wanted it to do. Much depends on what you want to learn. If you're really into technique, that video is okay. I was a big JM fan back then but through the years I've realized how extremely overated he is. :meh:
  6. The Yngwie Malmsteen of electric bass. Essentially useless and grooveless.

Can I say tasteless on TB?

Spend your hard earned bread elsewhere.
  7. JohnnyRook

Jul 1, 2005
    Another +1
    It's one of these occasions where one should be able to get a first glance at the video before having to spend all the money. I had the possibility to take a look at it first and I'm glad I didn't buy it...
  8. Thanks for the feedback, so what videos would you recommend??
  9. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    I recommend:

Victor wooten at bass day 98
    Rocco Francis Prestia at bass day 98
    Primus: Hallucino Genetics 2004
    Victor wooten & Carter Beauford making music

Im sure there are other great videos out there..
  10. Hehe well I'm not really at that level where I can play Vic's stuff, something a bit easier, but not for beginners, that covers soloing tapping and slapping.
  11. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I own this video. I find it very boring. The only aspect of the video I did enjoy was the section on harmonics.
  12. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    I find it difficult to believe that you have some sort of genius that you would be adding to the mix that is Dream Theater. The dude does his job... holds his own in a band full of ego's. And you just chewed him out for it. Congrats.
    It isn't like this guy has to solo for the whole song. Something that Yngwie couldn't live with out. Which is why your analogy holds no water at all.

Now I have not seen that video. But from what I am reading on this thread. The video could possibly help alot of people who don't have a clue of what they are doing and need to start somewhere. I would hope that someone that considers themselves an intermediate skilled player wouldn't need to consider buying something like this. But I would recommend something like this to someone if they liked Dream Theater and JUST STARTED playing bass.

Sorry but I just hate to see other musicians busting eachother's chops. Regardless of the amount of success involved. Who am I to judge ANYONE of thier skill level, groove, TASTE(which is subjective) or, usefulness even. Everything in music has a reason.. and a place.
  13. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Which basically means......... Go out and find a book with the same exact CRAPOLA!!! Walking Bass Published by Mel Bay has alot of that stuff. And if you really want something you can always look to for some info on almost everything go out and get the Guitar Cookbook. Even though it is in treble clef and mostly meant for guitar players you can get LOTS of stuff out of it.

I think that about covers all of the money you would have spent if you had bought that video. And you are getting way more information out of the deal.
  14. I wasn't referring to Myung the man or the musician. I was simply referring to the video which hands down is grooveless. There is no way I would ever put down Myung's chops, DT is one of my favorite acts.

And yes...Myung would run circles around me chop-wise.
  15. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Chops is all he's got.
  16. The arpeggios he goes through are a chord tone exercise to help develop your ear. This is important, but to take up most of a video with it sounds like bad planning. A co-worker was going to give the video to me, but I gave it back to him.

Get with a good teacher.
  17. Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    The video has some interesting parts (the harmonics, and a little tapping), but it is primarily arpeggios covering the whole fingerboard of his six string. Fundamental stuff. I'd rather have something that focuses on his personal style in DT, but I think he was approaching it like "I'll give the beginner some basic theory stuff so that he can learn the fingerboard and get familiar with possible note choices, and then throw in a little technique and DT flavor." It's not horrible, but unfortunately it's not all that great.

I'm always amazed at how much animosity people have for Myung, which I have to say is pretty petty and unfounded. People who do a lot less than he does get more praise around here. He plays bass and does good job. He isn't obnoxiously in your face like a lot of the solo artists TBers idolize, but he plays and supports the music while occasionally stepping out and doing something in the foreground.

He's a bassist! He's our brother-in-arms, guys! You don't need to worship him, but give him the credit he deserves.
  18. kipsus

kipsus Physicist

Sep 18, 2005
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Someone here noted that this video could be useful for newbies. Well I'm a newbie and I can say for sure - that video sucks badly. Extremely boring, difficult to understand (for me at least), and when he starts to speak about scales like series of parts of something...
    I'm not saying that this video sucks by itself though. Just that there are many better ones, especially for a beginner.

19. Or something like..."I'll go over this incredibly basic stuff, that'll eat some precious time, I can get paid and I can leave."