Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Myung signature bass news

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ian Perge, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    From an interview with Bass Inside Magazine:

"You have been with Yamaha for quite some time now, do you still get hit by manufacturers looking to endorse you?"

"There are not too many at this point."

"How many basses do you take with you on a tour?"

"I have three or four different basses that I take with me. Regarding these basses, there is actually soon gonna be a different retail version of my Yamaha bass, probably released in about a year."

"What changes will be made with these basses?"

"You will see it tonight. It's the purple one...it's basically a lighter and easier to play version of the current bass. The current one I have been using, I like playing something that has substance to it, but at the same time I wanted something that was a bit easier to play. That was what I asked them to do. To make a more user-friendly ergonomic and lighter bass. Also the pickups are different too. I have two of these prototypes now."

2. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    did you get ur name from the DT song scarred and the rush song 2112? if so, you got good taste in music my friend:D

3. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    yea, he also throws a mean elbow if you ask for his autograph after a concert:mad:

4. Really?:eek:

5. So does his other end...if you take him out for Mexican :D

6. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Could you please elaborate on this, i would like to know the story.

7. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    i went to see DT last december(IIRC) at the beacon theater. The concert was somewhat lackluster and disappointing, but i still had fun watching myung play. After wards (about 10:00pm) we started hanging out near the stage entrance. after waiting for approximately 3 hours the band finally strted coming out one by one. I passed up getting rudess' and petrucci's autographs just to get Myung's (because i only had a single ticket to get signed) Finally Myung comes out (~1:00am) With an amazing stroke of luck he walks directly to me. I'm happy as well as stunned. I hold up the ticket to him, he mumbles a word or too and uses his elbow to remove me from his path, knocking me into a pile of trash in the process. And the fact that he treated me badly wasn't the problem, the problem was that only three people wnated his autograph, me and two people who had flow in...from japan!! Not to mention the fact that the trains back to jersey had stopped running for the night until six am. So we had to spend the night in the station and ride home the next day...for nothing. I stopped listening to dreamtheater until the past month.

That's the story. thoughts?

8. Originally posted by Fretless5verfan

i went to see DT last december(IIRC) at the beacon theater. The concert was somewhat lackluster and disappointing, but i still had fun watching myung play. After wards (about 10:00pm) we started hanging out near the stage entrance. after waiting for approximately 3 hours the band finally strted coming out one by one. I passed up getting rudess' and petrucci's autographs just to get Myung's (because i only had a single ticket to get signed) Finally Myung comes out (~1:00am) With an amazing stroke of luck he walks directly to me. I'm happy as well as stunned. I hold up the ticket to him, he mumbles a word or too and uses his elbow to remove me from his path, knocking me into a pile of trash in the process. And the fact that he treated me badly wasn't the problem, the problem was that only three people wnated his autograph, me and two people who had flow in...from japan!! Not to mention the fact that the trains back to jersey had stopped running for the night until six am. So we had to spend the night in the station and ride home the next day...for nothing. I stopped listening to dreamtheater until the past month.

He knocked you down?

That's harsh.

9. odie

odie Supporting Member

Its kinda funny he always looked like a little panzie.

10. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Actually, up close he kinda looks like an ugly japanese school girl on steroids.

11. Ian Perge

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    *ding* - we have a winner. Thanks for the compliment. :D

When you have a motormouth like Portnoy in the band, do you really need yet another spokesperson? :D

Seriously, JM isn't the mute that many people think by his presence in DT's videos/DVD's/interviews. He simply follow the "If you have nothing worthy to say, why open your mouth?" creed. He's also one for letting his music do the talking for him. As Derek Sherinian (ex-DT keyboardist) has said, "John Myung is the only musician I know who warms down after a show." He truly is devoted to the art of music and bass.

As for the "elbow" story, all I can say is that it's contrary to every time I've met JM (four times waiting at the bus, one aftershow). In the middle of a January winter in NYC he's taken the time to not only sign autographs and chat with fans, but to personally have a five minute conversation about various topics (his signature bass, the Chapman Stick, his harmonic techniques) with me. Perhaps he or you got pushed into each other? I've noticed that when "rushed" to the bus after a gig, security can be pretty harsh blocking a path through fans.

...although looks can be decieving. At the recent DT show in Fuerth, Germany Myung tackled vocalist James LaBrie onstage with his bass still strapped on! :eek: It was all in good nature, though - apparently an unnamed member of the band put ca$h on the line for JM to do it. Myung as been awarded the "Most Out of Character Award" for this tour by the road crew.

Watch out for the small, silent ones. :D

12. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    ROFL this is probably the best story I've heard about DT, they seem so uptight at shows that I've seen, this shows that although you can play arpeggios, triad scales and 32nd notes at 560bpm you can take the time and fool around:D

13. LOL, my friend told me about that... I couldn't believe him at first, I wish I was there :D

JM rocks, he's probably my most influential bassist, in terms of style & technique.

I find that elbow story hard to believe, I couldn't really imagine him treating fans badly or being rude and inconsiderate...

14. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Just a note, the security people were no where near us at the time. we were almost isolated toether away frome everyone else because no one but the japanese guys and me wanted his autograph.

It happned to me directly and i still don't believe it happened. I always thought he was a basically good guy. He was my single biggest influence and the reason i began laying bass in the first place. Hopefully something was wrong with him or he was in a horrible rush that night for some reason, regardless i've lost my respect for him as a person until he does something to gain it back.

15. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    That's hilarious! i wish i could've seen it. That must've sucked a little for labrie:eek: :D

16. I wish Dream Theatre would come here.:(

17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Yeah, He's a BIG RICHARD!!!!! If it weren't for us fans buying tickets & buying albums, he'd be home playing his Yamaha RBX260 along to Rush & Yes CD's!!!!! :mad:

18. Goretopsy

Goretopsy

Feb 19, 2002
    il
    Anyone know where I can get a picture of that bass (the new one) cuz he was using that and a chapman stick when I saw them last time they came through and I thought it was one of the coolest looking basses I'd ever seen (sounded pretty good too but it is dream theater) but now I cant remember what it looks like but I remembered that I liked it alot

19. Ian Perge

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana