Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

john myung signature bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fretless_freak, Jun 3, 2002.

1. I am thinking of buying a John Myung signature bass. Could anybody give me some opinion on this bass? Any information is greatly appreciated!

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    please do a search about this bass...

there are already 47 threads about it and extensive info also

good day

3. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I <b>had</b> one. :oops:

Pros - It was nice, looked amazing. I sort of liked it's sound after much tweaking with offboard effects. It's gone up in price new, so when I sold it, I got about $200 more than what I originally paid for it. It's got a quality 3band EQ (not para-EQ tho).

Cons - It weighs approximately 14*10e4 pounds ;). The sound is a tad dull, but the EQ makes it a "lively sounding" kind of dull. It's got a very narrow finger spacing. The fancy inlay doesn't center around the octave fret - this is more of a glamour thing than a functional nitpick (and you should know your way around the neck w/o looking @ fret dots imo), but it looks a little odd. It weighs about as much as a small child (2nd time for emphasis).

This may have been particular to my instrument, but the brass nut seemed to be a tad fubar. My roundwounds would often get caught affecting intonation (very slight).

My personal favorite 6 string is the Ibanez BTB406. I had the RBX & both the BTB in use at the same time, and I overall prefer(ed) the BTB.. It cost about the same as the RBX (when I bought it - but I think the RBX is now more $$), and it has a much wider sound range capability. I bought it mainly because of the John Myung name. I didn't have the oppurtunity to playtest it, but if I had, I probably wouldn't have bought it.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As Dave said, there are tons of threads on this bass. Do a search.

The basic tone of all of the threads are:

1) It's a nice looking bass
    2) The sound is so-so
    3) The string spacing is very tight, tighter than an Ibanez Soundgear
    4) The bass is very heavy, like 13 or 14 lbs