1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

john myung signature bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fretless_freak, Jun 3, 2002.

1. I am thinking of buying a John Myung signature bass. Could anybody give me some opinion on this bass? Any information is greatly appreciated!

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    please do a search about this bass...

there are already 47 threads about it and extensive info also

good day

3. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I <b>had</b> one. :oops:

Pros - It was nice, looked amazing. I sort of liked it's sound after much tweaking with offboard effects. It's gone up in price new, so when I sold it, I got about $200 more than what I originally paid for it. It's got a quality 3band EQ (not para-EQ tho).

Cons - It weighs approximately 14*10e4 pounds ;). The sound is a tad dull, but the EQ makes it a "lively sounding" kind of dull. It's got a very narrow finger spacing. The fancy inlay doesn't center around the octave fret - this is more of a glamour thing than a functional nitpick (and you should know your way around the neck w/o looking @ fret dots imo), but it looks a little odd. It weighs about as much as a small child (2nd time for emphasis).

This may have been particular to my instrument, but the brass nut seemed to be a tad fubar. My roundwounds would often get caught affecting intonation (very slight).

My personal favorite 6 string is the Ibanez BTB406. I had the RBX & both the BTB in use at the same time, and I overall prefer(ed) the BTB.. It cost about the same as the RBX (when I bought it - but I think the RBX is now more $$), and it has a much wider sound range capability. I bought it mainly because of the John Myung name. I didn't have the oppurtunity to playtest it, but if I had, I probably wouldn't have bought it.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

As Dave said, there are tons of threads on this bass. Do a search.

The basic tone of all of the threads are:

1) It's a nice looking bass
    2) The sound is so-so
    3) The string spacing is very tight, tighter than an Ibanez Soundgear
    4) The bass is very heavy, like 13 or 14 lbs