1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

John Myung Technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by shatterd, Feb 29, 2008.

1. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    I'm a new bassist. Just got my first bass and taking lessons.

I watch videos of John Myung, and it looks like his thumb is always anchored on his top string. Since he plays a 6 string, I assume that is the B string. On the other hand, I see a lot of finger style bassists anchoring their thumbs on the 4, 3 and even 2 string as they alternate bewteen strings. For example, I was taught recently that when you are playing the E string on a 4 string bass, that you anchor your thumb on the pickups. When you are playing the G string, you move down and anchor thumb on the A string. Now, having said that, I never see Myung's thumb drop below the B string on his six string bass. So my question is....is it OK to learn finger styles where your thumb stays on the pickups or E string(4 string bass)????

2. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
  3. HaVIC5

HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Yes, its totally cool doing it that way with fixed anchor. There are some guys like Tony Grey who can rip it up at incredible tempos with a fixed anchor and two fingers. My current private instructor here at Berklee is Joe Santerre, who taught John Myung when he was here, and he uses a fixed anchor. He can rip it up like nobody's business, and his stamina and groove-sense when it comes to sixteenth note funk and rock is awesome. He also rakes all the time (take that, SA nazis!)

That said, I don't use fixed anchor, and likely will never go back to it. Floating thumb has given me a lot of extra ability with right hand muting, and basically ensured perfect muting technique. It also allows the same range of motion across all the strings, and prevents you from bending your wrist while you play, which can lead to carpal tunnel (a big problem with fixed anchor).

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    It's all about the hair.

5. Check out Myung's instructional dvd - he uses an anchor point but depending on what he's playing it definitely isn't always the B. Have been a DT fan for a long time. Really what it boils down to is what feels best in certain situations to you. I realise the style of playing is different and not as precise but Steve Harris of Iron Maiden never anchors his thumb and that dude gets some serious speed from just 2 fingers on his right hand and a light touch/very low action.

6. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    The technique you are reffering to I belive is called moveable anchor, where your thumb follows your other fingers to mute the string lower to it. I use a mix between that and fixed anchor (your thumb resting on the pickup), depending on what I play.

Check out this thread for more info: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230685

7. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback!