Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Myung

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by christos, Feb 21, 2001.

1. YAMAHA John Myung model........
    Does anyone have any info on this bass? I played one today and I really liked it, but it is a Yamaha and I am afraid of the quality.....Not that Yamaha is bad but I know they make so lower quality stuff, kind of like intro level stuff, but I am not familiar with their higher end stuff.......Price as marked down to $995.95 with case.......

2. The deafening silence is broke, as a scream shreaks through the air with a spellbinding echoe......

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    there's a guy here named ytsibri (?) who's got one, i'd try to message or email him

4. You've obviously never played a TRB-series bass. Yamaha's higher end stuff is fabulous. Their low-end stuff is pretty damn good, too, better than pretty much any other company's low-end products. They have a bad reputation because moronic guitarists think that any company that makes jet skis can't make a good musical instrument (try telling that to the gazillions of Yamaha synth users).

If you like how it plays and how it sounds, and the workmanship looks all right (things to avoid include gaps in the neck joint, frets that stick way out of the neck, uneven finish, etc.), then buy it! I could never play a bass with string spacing that narrow, but to each his own.

5. Imeant to put "some" lower end stuff, not "so",see were I am from the music stores don't always stock high end stuff........

6. I can't spell or space today....ie. I meant, where

7. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    I own the RBX6JM and I love it. It's an excellent low-/mid-priced 6 string. I can't really find too many faults with the exception of color choice. I've heard people complain about the string-spacing, neck, etc., but if you've played it and you feel comfortable with it, go for it. IMHO, Yamahas tend to be some of the best basses for the money.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I particularlt love their wide string spacing. They had me in mind:)

And yeah, I've played one (Myung Model) Pretty good I guess, just another sixer to me. But, that does mean it's not worse than anything, just middle of the road. If you like it, go for it.

9. kumori

kumori

Nov 22, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have two Yamaha basses: a BBN4 fretless and I just picked up an RBX260. The 260 is Yamaha's least expensive bass (I may be wrong) and I would have never bought it, but the store was having a big sale and I picked it up new for 99 bucks. And I "needed" a fretted bass to go with my fretless. ;) It is a fun bass, very light, thin neck, fast. I have small hands, and the Yamahas seem more comfortable to me than the Fender Jazz I started on. Even on the Yamaha low-end model, the quality is fantastic. No gaps at all, nice fretwork, great paint. (check the particular one before you buy, of course) After playing on that bass for an hour or so, tho, it is a real treat to play on my fretless with those smooth flats. If I were you, I would definitely consider Yamaha.

10. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I went to Mar's "Guitarist's Night Out" this evening and ate free pizza,got a free Gibson Guitars poster with a naked woman crouched next to a natural finish ES-295 with the legend "Are You Man Enough?" (I Sh*t you not!),and bought a John Myung 6 string for $546($593 out the door.) It had been sitting there for ever,I remember seeing it the 1st time I ever walked into the place in 1999,so since the real goal of the evening (from their perspective) was to move some stuff,I got a good deal.I must reserve commenting on the bass's sound 'till I can get some new strings on there 'cause several other pizza eaters have groped it during this and previous similar Martian soirees,but I saw enough there as is to go for it at that price.I also have an RBX260F which I got at this same store in April '99 for $199.Great little bass at a great price.

11. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    The neck through Yammies are better. Even with the shorter scale, the strings are tighter.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Right on, nanook.

I had the opportunity to A/B a neck through TRB6P and a TRB6-II, and the 34" neck through was tighter than the bolt on 35".

The neck through sounded better, too, at least to my ears.

13. The drummer in my band has one. He let me have a play around and I must say that despite a fingerboard as wide as the USS Nimitz (I'm used to a 5 at the most :rolleyes: ) the build was superb, as good as my Modulus and StingRay. The sound wasn't to my taste but if you're happy with that and the playability don't let build quality worry you - remember that John Pattiuci, Nathan East and Billy Sheehan all have had Yamaha signature models for some years now.