Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Myung

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassman_edge, Mar 27, 2001.

1. Holy crap! Just listened to Metropolis Part one, and I didn't realize what a phenominal bassist he is. Anyone else here dig Dream Theatre?

2. FaultLine423

FaultLine423

Aug 27, 2000
    yeah man, Myung is amazing. Dream Theater is my favorite band, and Myung one of my favorite bassists. Metropolis 1 is a good solo, but if you really want to hear some phenomenal bass playing, listen to The Dance of Eternity bass solo or the one from The Ytse Jam. The Metropolis solo is two-handed tapping, and another example of his great tapping technique is the intro to Scarred.

3. I like DT. I started a thread in Off Topic a few weeks ago asking everyone's fav songs. Check it out.

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    DT rawks :)

They are one of those bands where I find myself totally humbled in trying to pull off their licks as cleanly as they do(bass and guitar). As a matter of fact, there's a great deal of stuff they play that I cannot pull off at all, and they have my utmost respect and admiration.

They are very good live as well.

5. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    everyone in the band is killer, too bad i can't listen to anything [ast their 2nd LP without getting nauseous.

6. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Why do you say that?

7. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    prog metal is a bit too whimpy for me...there is some i do like, but not much. i prefer heavier guitars.

8. acacia, listen to Lie. :)

9. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i have listened to them all. i try to give everything a chance. they have their moments, but lose my interest quickly. Labrie's vocals are a huge turn off as well.

I am the same way with post-Arch Fates Warning. Alder can sing, I just don't like him and the music that Matheos creates nowadays.

10. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I have to say I am a big Fan of Dream Theater and of course, of John Myung.

I think this is presently the hottest Band in Progressive music if you consider all the talent you can find in it (Portnoy - drums, Myung - Bass, and others).

If you like DT, try "Transatlantic" (features Portnoy - drums and Pete Trevawas from Marillion on the Bass).

Anyone have the Bass Progressive concepts Video from John Myung out there ? Here in Canada, it is hard to find.

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Also featuring Neal Morse (Spock's Beard) and Roine Stolt (Flower Kings (Yay! Go Sweden! :D)). Transatlantic is very different from DT. The only thing they have in common are a couple of Portnoy-ish drum fills. Still, "SMPTe" is a very good album. A must have for a prog fan, IMO.

Regarding Myung, my opinion is that he is a very technical player who writes interesting basslines, very appropriate for DT's music. All in all a great bass player, but I'm not a fan of his any longer - I seem to have developed in a direction very far from Myung's style, and seldom look towards him for inspiration.
    And I still think he's boring to look at.

(EDIT: Neal, not Neil! Darn.)

12. Yea, that's what a lot of people dislike. I don't mind them at all. hehe, you wouldn't expect that of me b/c I listen to stuff like mudvayne and hardcore groups (local ones).