Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Myung

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mr2112, May 12, 2000.

1. mr2112

mr2112

Mar 31, 2000

Man, I love the talent this guy has, I mean, as far as technical ability, he can stand with anyone, but I think with the way Dream Theater writes, he has limited opportunity to show his ability to "feel it". Another thing I don't like is his tone...it's too quiet, and sort of lost in the mix, even when I saw him live...I still dig him...ANY THOUGHTS??? ---MR

2. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mr2112:

Man, I love the talent this guy has, I mean, as far as technical ability, he can stand with anyone, but I think with the way Dream Theater writes, he has limited opportunity to show his ability to "feel it". Another thing I don't like is his tone...it's too quiet, and sort of lost in the mix, even when I saw him live...I still dig him...ANY THOUGHTS??? ---MR
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just bought my first Dream Theater album yesterday, and I have to say it is by far the best album I've heard from a newer group.

Anyway, mr2112, I have to say I really DO NOT agree with you about JM being limitted. I really hate the school of thought that music is a platform for displaying one's technical prowess. I am a big fan of prog rock, and I really appreciate great musicianship, but to me the composition always comes first. I firmly believe in everybody supporting the big picture.

To me a given composition will have certain requirements from each instrument - sometimes they require a very small part from one instrument or nothing at all, other times a busier, more technically demanding part may be just right. Just look at a great composer like Beethoven: he didn't write all of his bass lines to be completely killer - sometimes you just play one note every 4 bars while other times he wrote very nasty difficult passages. I recently did the Debussy opera, Pelleas et Melisande - the tuba player had 1 note in the first act. Debussy didn't just fill up the opera with superfluous tuba parts just to give the tuba player something to do - he wrote exactly as much as what he felt was right for the music.

That's why I think the Peter Gabriel era Genesis material is some of the greatest prog rock ever written. Although they were all great instrumentalists, you never got the sense that they were trying to show off their technical prowess - the song as a whole always came first before anybody's individual parts.

I think that is precisely what makes John Myung a great bass player. Although he has the ability to be all over the bass, he often chooses not to, because it would just be gratuitous.

3. mr2112

mr2112

Mar 31, 2000
    Rob W: I totally understand your point. I have been a Dream Theater fanatic for 11 yrs., and I realise that his bass parts are a part of the composition, as a whole. I am also aware that you have to look at a composition as a whole, thus the parts that make it up contribute to the "whole". I never said it was a bad thing..Hell..he's one of my fav. bassists ever, as they are one of my fav. bands. I think that it's alot more pleasant to hear him play with "Platypus" because he has more freedom to...you know.."JAM"!! That really doesn't matter that much though...I'm more irritated with the way that his parts are mixed in the production part of the album, or even live...I mean..put a DT album on, then throw on "Permanent Waves"from Rush...Now that's how you mix a bass line. [​IMG]

Anyway....Which DT album did you get? --MR

4. HomerJ

HomerJ

May 8, 2000
    Dream Theater's latest album, Scenes From A Memory seems to be mixed to where you can hear John's bass alot better and his playing is incredible. The album that he did with Platypus- Ty Tabor(Kings X) Derek Sherinian (Former DT), and Rod Morgenstein-is a good album, it is a bit of a departure from what you would hear from Dream Theater but it's still good for what it is. Then again, how can it be bad considering the members it has.

5. mr2112

mr2112

Mar 31, 2000
    HomerJ--I agree..SFAM is an incredible piece of work! The bass part is much easier to distinguish on this one, and MAN...SUPERB MUSICIANSHIP!! I love everything about this CD, including the story...If you have not seen them live, they play the whole thing from start to finish, plus, an 8 min. keyboard solo..AWESOME!!

------------------

Well...I should be practicing, not typing..so....Bye, -MR

6. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    I've been a DT fanatic since their first album. They definetly are a talented bunch. I just want to mention there is a band out of Rochester, N.Y. called "Eleventh Hour". They perform originals along the DT style. They usually open up with originals in their first set and cover DT in their second set. Let me tell you, you would not know the difference. They even do 3 piece harmonies to a T. If you're ever in the Rochester, Buffalo, Toronto area, I recommend you check these guys out. You won't be disappointed.

7. mr2112

mr2112

Mar 31, 2000
    Doug...I would definetely have to check them out! --THANX FOR THE INFO!!!!!!

------------------

Well...I should be practicing, not typing..so....Bye, -MR

8. mr2112

mr2112

Mar 31, 2000
    Sorry, to "bump" this up, but I was curious if any of the 'newbies' had any thoughts to add on this guy...since he is one of my FAVS.!!:D:D

9. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I just saw DT this past Monday night at a small auditorium here in Denver. They were incredible, I agree though I wish they would mix Myungs bass parts to be heard a little better. Although in Scenes from a Memory John's bass parts seemed to be mixed a little better, also his bass can be heard pretty good on their double live album that came out in 99'. They have also been one of my favorite bands for about the last 10 years or so. I also have to mention as well that another one of my fav's opened for them that night, Spocks Beard. They are incredible, not quite as heavy as DT but still I think one of the best newer prog rock bands out there. Their bassist (can't remember his name at this time) plays a Ric that is just booming.

10. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Yeah, he´s one of my fav bassplayers. I bought his bass video and...****! he´s really cool..

11. JoelT

JoelT

Aug 7, 2000
    The SB bassist is Dave Meros. Unfortunately he's not playing on the current tour dates, AFAIK (the guy filling in is doing a good job, though). Yeah, they're an excellent band. It was great to see them and DT in Philly a couple weeks ago.

Regarding John Myung, he's the primary reason I started playing bass and he's certainly the reason I bought a 6 string (hard to play those parts on a 4 string...well, it's kinda hard on a 6 string, too ;)). I was stunned the first time I saw DT live and saw John Myung play. I couldn't believe how fast his fingers moved.

Joel

12. snfjtu

snfjtu

Oct 3, 2000
    While Geddy Lee is my favorite bassist, John Myung is probably technically more skilled(he does stuff I haven't ever seen Geddy do, but who knows if he can? It may just not fit Rush's music to be tapping and playing at Mach 126), and is a very close second. Rush and DT are my 2 favorite bands too, so I'm biased maybe. I ordered Myung's video too, but its on backorder :( Well, what else can I say except that I am a huge fan of this guy and Dream Theater?

13. Gedster

Gedster

Jan 25, 2001
    I think this guy could be alot more, well, let me say, more recognised(sp), if he was more of a "free wheeler" if you know what I mean. He is soooooooo talented, but is limited by the structure of DT's music.

14. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I LOVE Dream Theater's music the way it is...and I wouldn't like it to change even a bit just "to let JM show his abilities"...what are you thinking ppl?It's all about songs anyway,am I wrong?What's the reason to play bass if you don't make good music?And,as long as you make good songs,you're a good musician to me.I think Myung's tone is very sweet and fits DT's music perfectly.And BTW he has played some incredibly cool solos like the tapping one in Metropolis Pt.1...ROB W,couldn't agree with you more.
    Rock on

15. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
  16. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Awaken from the dead? ;)

John Myung has some interesting bass parts, but I feel he doesn't express them enough. It seems to me he is focused on playing the right note, instead of getting the right feel. Not exactly any Nelson-esque groove. But then, progressive metal isn't really known for the emotions, more technique and theory.

What I hear is good (except for that stinking solo on "Dance Of Eternity"... bah), but what I see is less good. While he has some great lines, his onstage charisma equals zero. He's definitely one of the most boring live musicians I've ever seen. Pretty much stands in one place and looks on his fingers the whole show. It might work if you're a cool personality (John Entwistle), but seeing John M live is as much fun as chewing on a paper tissue. IMO.

17. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    And regarding his "Metropolis part I" tapping solo... I believe he has himself said that he only managed to pull that one of properly once - when they recorded the song for I&W. I don't blame him, it's an amazingly difficult part to play, being so simple in structure as it is.

Oh man, he messed it up in the 5 Years In A Livetime video - heh, the look he got from Derek Sherinian... and John P pats his head afterwards... har har har :D

;)

18. snfjtu

snfjtu

Oct 3, 2000
    Yeah, that part is really hard to execute. I don't even mess with tapping it anymore because I don't have monstrous hands like John. I play it fingerstyle on my 6 string utilizing the B string in the 7th, 8th, 10th, and 12th positions for the low root notes. It's alot easier and sounds so close to what he plays, I see no reason to break my fingers trying to do it exactly like he does.

19. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    well,when I saw DT live in Greece my jaws dropped to the ground seeing how clear and perfect he played it...my mouth was left open for about 20 secs!Amazing.And BTW I don't really care much about what virtuosos say,as they usually go for divine perfection...someone told me that Neil Peart once said he has no talent whatsoever,so...

20. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Ya, Dragonlord, I agree - it's perfect or nothing for most so called virtuosos. And with the virtuoso reputation the DT members have (the hype is incredible, really), I guess they have to feel some pressure on them. Like, miss one note and you're playing bad.
    Well, it's in human nature to fail - too bad for John M that he did it while recording a DT live video... :rolleyes:

And Kong, it IS hard for a man with short fingers and long scale basses! :D