john myung

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mebusdriver, Apr 30, 2002.

1. who knows what bass john myung plays. i think he plays yamaha but in his instruction video i dont think he's playing one. any ideas.
  2. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    He has his own signature bass from Yamaha, the RBX6JM and currently he is developing a new prototype signature bass
  3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    In the instructional video he plays Tung basses.. Used them on the Awake album... They're sweet basses and I've never understood why he stopped using them in favor of those cheesy looking Yamahas.
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    One reason why Myung switched brands could be because Nick Tung went out of business. Maybe he thought he was worthy of an endorsement and some support, something Tung couldn't provide him with. And cheesy or not, he designed them himself. :D
  5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Throughout his career, John Myung has played:
    1. Unknown 80's Fender Jazz - "Majesty" period and "When Dream and Day Unite" recording.
    2. EB/MM StingRay with an added neck humbucker (ala Billy Sheehan) - "When Dream and Day Unite" period.
    3. Spector NS-2 - The recording of "Images and Words."
    4. Tobias Basic six-strings - "Images and Words" tour.
    5. Tung six-strings - "Awake" and "A Change of Seasons" recordings and tour.
    6. Yamaha RBX-JM6 and TRB (fretless) six-strings - "Falling Into Infinity", "Scenes From A Memory", and "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" recordings and tours.
    7. Stock EB/MM StingRay and Hamer eight-string - "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" recording.
    8. Yamaha RBX six-string prototype w/ single humbucker and monorail bridge - "Six Degrees of Inner Turblence" tour.

For the recording of his instructional video John used his stable of four (?) Tung basses.
  6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I thought they were based off Yamaha's RGX (RBX) line of basses? They certainly have a similar body shape.. I've played them and didn'y really care for them.. The blocked edges are uncomfortable, and really didn't like the sound.... Very noisy electronics. The nicest thing IMO was the infinity inlay on the fingerboard