Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Myung

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Mar 2, 2003.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I know we've had Myung threads before, but I'm just sitting here listening to Images and Words. God this dude is amazing. His timing is so perfect. He's like a living, breathing metromone. Also, for someone playing in a progressive rock band, he's very tastful with his playing.

2. Hmm.. Never heard of him before ... I'm going to have to look him up and see what kind of music he does... Thanks for mentioning him I'll have to get back to this thread with what I think about him...:bassist:

3. Yes he is great. One of my favorite bassists. To help you out he plays in Dream Theater (it wasn't mentioned in the first post). Listen to Metropolis part I. Truly amazing song, not only from a bassist perspective. One of my favorite songs ever.

4. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Sweden
    He is one of the fastest guys out there but once I heard Lars K Norberg of Spiral Architect he sortof paled abit in comparison but he is still good though. I just wish he would take abit more space in DT and that him and Portnoy could try to fill their place abit better.

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yeah, but speed hardly has anything to do with someone being a good bassist. Speed has never impressed me.

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    as great as the albums are, they leave a lot to be desired as live musicians (myung and portnoy). i've never even heard of myung pulling off the tapping solo in met. pt 1. granted, that's some pretty difficult stuff to pull off, but the fluidity as displayed on the album doesn't carry over to their live performances. don't get me wrong....they still smoke! portnoy is a sniveling butt-noid, though.

7. Re: Dream Theater

All members have a degree in music, interesting point me thinks. Some call Dream Theater 'musician's music'.

I dig it... Portnoy and Myung bring new flavor to the concept of a rhythm section. Odd time signatures are fun for a change.

8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh my God, that was funny... and true!!

However, as much Portnoy bashing as I've done here, his work with O.S.I. has redeemed him a bit.

Mark

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    How typically "Portnoy".....

What a schmuck... His is a clear-cut case of being educated beyond his intelligence.

10. who's Portnoy? lol a sniveling butt sucker..?

11. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Sojhen - Portnoy is the drummer in Dream Theater. Amazing drummer.
    Dream Theater is an amazing band!:bassist:

12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have a DT video and it looks like he is doing some interesting stuff; too bad you can't hear him.

13. Caeros

Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    Seen them live, have many bootlegs and all recordings. Great band, but Myung is both underused and overrated at the same time. And Portnoy is a total buttnode.

14. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    bear in mind that i never said he wasn't an awesome drummer...he gets his drum _on_. if only he would stay behind his snare on his freeeking throne...maybe that's his problem. they call that dumb uncomfortable stool a THRONE. sheesh...

15. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I have Once in a Livetime and I picked up the Live in NY one yesterday, and he pulls off the solo no problem. The only thing is in OIAL, he is really low, and you can't hear him so well (throughout almost the whole cd). In the NY one, he has a really weird effect going on when he does the solo, but he still does it. It is not difficult to pull off at all, and I am sure he has no problem with it.

16. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Myung rules. Did anyone see the "Dance of Instrumentals"? (link here) Damn. If you could hear him, it would be quite impressive!:D The band is great, but their latest album wasn't that great, IMHO.

17. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Welcome to the world of digital studio editing. There's a reason that snare rolls sound like a perfectly executed machine gun, it's call cut, paste, and loop.

My drummer owns a top shelf pro tools studio, I was actually pretty disappointed to see how things are done these days. Once you are around it, and see it in the workings long enough, you can smell a pro tools cheat a mile away.

Listen to metropolis, there's some major cut and paste going on there.

18. If you like progressive metal, check out Dick Lövgren in Time Requiem. He's the best monster bassist I've ever heard! And he is only 23 years old!!! Also check out his other band Last Tribe.

19. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    The reason that the drumming on Metropolis (and all of "Images and Words for that matter) sounds so metronomic and "machine gun"-esque is not Pro Tools or digital editing, but that the producer insisted that the drums be triggered. It's long been a topic of hatred in the DT community and by Portnoy himself.

"Images" was recorded in 1992 and digital editing wasn't nearly as widespread as it is now - it's unrealistic to think that a little-known band in that day and age could have afforded to record or edit digitally.

20. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I wonderd about that myself...thanks for clarifying :D