Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Myung

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bryan bailey, May 19, 2003.

1. This guy makes me want to crawl into a ball and piss all over myself everytime I see him in action with a bass. It's just rediculous how clean/fast/and well planned he can play, granted speed is nearly just an impressing thing, but the abbility do the fast stuff and the slow stuff at the same level of proficiency is mind blowing.:bawl: :bassist:

2. Yep.

He's one of my biggest influences. This man definately knows his sh*t. :D

Cheers.

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    The man IMO is definatly up there as one of the greats. I especially like the way he uses harmonics. His right hand has an incredible picking technique I admire too. He'll use fingers 1 and 3 then 2 and 4, and then mixes them all up into different patterns off of those as well.

4. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    I marvel Myung. In all the videos that this crazy Portnoy tape, whenever he shows Myung, he's playing his bass. All the time.

He plays great. But IMO, especially in DT, I would rather him to turn up his friggin volume, do some - even if little - more solos, and not follow petrucci's guitar all the time.

Still he is a hero.

To prove my loyalty here is a drawing I have made of him years ago.

[​IMG]

5. He is my number one hero...

Great drawing btw!:D

Wendy

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Great artwork!

Has he every seen it. Maybe you should find his e-mail address and send him a copy. I'm sure he would love to recieve something like that.

7. Yeah he's amazing. But he doesn't use 4 fingers on the right-hand I'm pretty sure.....

Very nice artwork artistanbul! You can try asking around at Dreamtheater.net and/or Mikeportnoy.com about sending that to JM...unfortunately he's so busy...especially since the upcoming tour and album...

And for that persson who said that he just follows the guitar.....who says he didn't make up the riff and the guitar is following the bass? I.E in Strange Deja Vu, that rocking riff halfway through was made up by JM!

Cheers:bassist:

8. He does uses 4 fingers on the right hand..;)

9. artistanbul

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    Thanks for the compliment. And about the follows the guitar part, that is meant as in follows the guitar musically. And I guess he does it out of boredom. :)

And uh.. I really would like tha man to see the drawing. If anyone could PM me about accomplishing that, I would be grateful.

10. artistanbul

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
  11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    You could always go to the Dream Theatre or Johns webiste and email the webmaster.

John Myung

12. Chip

Chip

May 2, 2000
    as far as im concerned all of dream theater are freaks :)
    i have a hard enough time learning their songs let alone playing them!
    unfortunatly i only have a 4-string so i cant play all my favorites, but that day will come soon hopefully!

13. I'm getting a 6 string in early June:D