John Myung's bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jpcontreras, Jan 1, 2003.

1. jpcontreras

Dec 23, 2002
    I have heard lots of negative comments about John Myung's bass. It is very cheap, so i was thinking about maybe buying it but I want to hear your opinions.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Play one before you buy it. Very heavy, very tight string spacing, narrow but chunky neck, below average tone. IMHO. Do a search. There have been a lot of threads on this bass, and you will find that most of the posts agree with my opinion.
  3. jbay

May 23, 2002
    I agree with emb there... Got one of these things. I ended up converting it to fretless and refinished the entire thing. I would replace the pickups, but there isn't many aftermarket replacements that come in that size...

4. jpcontreras

Dec 23, 2002
    the problem is that they don't have it in many stores. I am from mexico, but I travel often to Austin, TX. Where can I try it there? How much does it cost?
  5. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I would have to say that you should DEFINATLEY play it before you buy it. I personally like the tight string spacing, but many don't. Also, I don't think that it sounds as good as it should- maybe that is why they are making a new model?
  6. jpcontreras

Dec 23, 2002
    where can I see the new one?