Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Myung's Rig

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by QTraXQ, Aug 23, 2002.

1. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Anybody know exactly what all john myung uses in his setup??. I know he has a Custom Bass and he has another bass in Development with Yamaha. the new Bass so far has 1 Humbucker(stingray style) and looks and sounds sweet. Its still an RBX series but body design looks even better..

Well anyway, does anyone know what does John Myung's Bass Rig consist of??:confused:

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    According to his website, his rig as of the Metropolis 2000 tour consisted of SWR products, namely an SM-900 head, Big Bertha 2x15" and Goliath Senior 6x10". As DT are using in-ear monitors and no backline for the current "Six Degrees of World Tourbulence" tour I can't say what JM is using currently, but I'm relatively sure it still consists of SWR products.

3. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    I went to the concert and John didn't have his bass equipment facing the audience it looked as though it was on the side facing the back of the stage. Excellent show. Sound was Great. Six degrees (1st Album especially) is pretty Bad A**. I hope people aren't made that they don't do the extended solos but I think it all fit together like it should have.

Human kindness reached a turning Point!!!!!

I LOVE it..

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    have you tried www.dreamtheater.net? i'm sure they have this info all codified over there somewhere.

5. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    Whenever I've go to the Dream Theater website, its never there. Even at John Myung's Website its not there.

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hmm. that's odd. i would've figured that he would keep that stuff all up to date. i seem to remember him saying in an interview a few years ago with bassplayer mag that he wouldn't talk to them about his gear because "that stuff is all available already on the web".

well, i'll be seeing them tomorrow night, so i'll check and let you know if i can see anything :D

7. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    As far as secuirity checking me. They only checked pants pockets quickly and thats it. they didn't check my shirt pocket or my ankles. So, if you can take a Camera then that would be cool. Plus i don't even know if they don't allow Cameras. Also, you probably won't be able to see his Cabinet or Head but check out his foot pedals and if you can Write down the stuff he has then that would be awesome.

It looked to me that he wasn't into the music when they came (Austin, Tx). Of course he still played Grrreatt, but he just seemed like he wanted to get off stage Quick(compared to the Metropolis DVD and Images and Words Concert video)... I feel sorry for Jordan, because I don't think people even care about him when hes doing his solos in the back.

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    myung always looks like he's somewhere else, imo. i've seen them ~8 times since images and words, along with many different performances at various namm shows, and he always looks like he'd rather be somewhere else than on stage. he as a very odd persona for a stage performer.

don't get me wrong, i'm not into the showboating thing at all, but i don't think i've ever seen him interact with the crowd. i guess he's just a shy individual.

9. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    I really like his Mesa Boogie's Sound days...

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I've heard it's rare enough to hear him talk at all, which is why I was surpised to see the few interviews that I have. But apparantly he is a very shy person.