Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Norwood Fisher (what happened to Fishbone?)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Liquid477, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Liquid477

Liquid477

Jan 23, 2006
    Does anyone know what gear he uses.

Though he wouldnt win a popularity contest with flea, or les claypool..........I think his playing/creativity cant be beat. His basslines just get stuck in your head.......completely infectious.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    well, I've seen Fishbone headline WITH Les and Primus opening...

Fishbone just released a new live disc last May

[​IMG]

3. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Every time I've seen Fishbone live, Norwood's playing fretted and fretless 5-string Warwick Thumbs through either Mesa/Boogie or Warwick amps, and, to my knowledge, this is the gear he records with too. I know the really old Fishbone stuff (Truth & Soul and earlier) was recorded with a Jazz Bass though.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    They're still around. We've played with them twice, and once he had his famous Thumb 5, and the other time he played a FNA 5. We chat from time to time. He's really a deep guy and sick bassist!

5. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    That is going to sound amazing.

6. heat@500Hz

heat@500Hz Guest

Jun 11, 2005
    Lago Blanco de la Roca
    :)

fishbone is great!

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    loud as heck too! The loudest show I've seen was Fishbone at Rutgers in 91 or so.

8. [​IMG]

I'm not certain what he's playing here but I took this photo in 1989 or 1990. Spector, maybe?

I just did a little online research and Norwood is playing with the Willie Waldman Project - they played about a mile from where I live less than two weeks ago (and I missed it).

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Yep, Spector. Cool pic. I'm gonna email him this. I'll credit you for it. Cool?

10. By all means, send it to him. Mention it was taken at a warehouse/club called the Speedway Cafe on the West side of Salt Lake City.

11. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I've opened up for them (Fishbone) with a couple of different bands a couple of times and he uses the Warwick amp live. If they would lay off the pipe for a few seconds they would probably had made it farther.

I was a huge Fishbone fan until the first time we opened for them. They were late, took an hour and a half sound check (because they were loaded) and thought their sh$t didn't stink.

He is a great player though.

12. Him and Angelo are the only original members left?

I used to love Fishbone. The 1st time I saw them they were opening for RHCP (In Your Face era Fishbone), and they blew the RHCPs off the map!

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Yeah. When we played with Wicked Wisdom (Jada Pinkett Smith's band), Fish was playing drums for them.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    All I have from the is "Give a monkey a brain..." damn, he has the most unique slap tone... nobody sounds like him... I've heard people try... but no dice.

15. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Caught their club tour last May. I tell 'ya, there's nothing like seeing Fishbone in a 200-seat club... they were red hot! :hyper:

16. Love Fishbone but damn those boys have got drama. I remember something back in the day about one of the band members getting forceably institutionalized (and I don't mean tossed into rehab, I mean like an asylum), but I don't remember the details and can't find anything about it online. I certainly could be remembering wrong - anyone remember?

That stuff aside, I always loved Fishbone. Way ahead of the curve! And Norwood is amazing - the fretless line on Sunless Saturday is one of my all time favorites!

I also saw somewhere that Rocky George from Suicidal Tendencies is playing with them now - how cool is that!

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Thier guitarist joined a cult, and they dressed themselves up in black :ninja: , and tried to kidnap him one night. Oh the stories I could tell, but can't!

18. Liquid477

Liquid477

Jan 23, 2006
    Hey woodchuck.........we get it! Should I rename the thread people who shamelessly claim they know the guys from fishbone? (and jadda pinket smith) Cant forget her very memorable attempt at music,.......I would stay away from mentioning that. Did you get to meet Carlton,, or Mr. Banks?

19. I seem to remember that the original guitarist, Kendall became born again and thought Fishbone's music was too vulgar. He quit and moved in with his dad in Las Vegas. Norwood and Kendall's girlfriend thought he was "confused," so they went to Vegas in a van armed with a stun gun and a roll of duct tape, to talk some sense into him. Norwood went to jail for attempted kidnapping. Fishbone was on Lollapalooza that year and Foley (former piccolo bassist for Miles Davis), who was playing with Arrested Development at the time filled in.

Eric Bates likes this.
  20. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Hey man, it's winter time. Jealously and envy are fall colors. :rollno: