John Patittuci Electric Bass #2 Video

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by alexssandro, May 7, 2001.

1. Has anyone seen his second instructional video? It's supposed to talk alot about improvisation and is supposed to be useful to all musicians and not just bassists. I was curious about getting it, but I thought I better get some opinions before I spend $50. I'm looking for an indepth music lesson - not just to watch him play (although that is good in itself).
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've got both #1 and #2 and I would recommend either - no. 1 has a got a lot of useful stuff on it as well, like ideas for practising. I often find that I get stuck or "plateau" and it's useful to see what someone else does to improve or get inspiration.

I think that Patitucci is a very good teacher and has ideas that could be applied by anyone and it is useful to be able to see what is being done. I found that if anything there were too many ideas and I had to go back and rewind several times to get to actually play these things.

If you're going to get the most out of these, you do have to work at the exercises and it's not a case of picking up tricks - it's about solid ideas for what to practice and you have to be prepared to put in the time on this stuff.

I must admit that I never got round to actually applying all these ideas - I think there's enough material to be practising for several hours every day and I have never found the time - but I think it is still ver worthwhile to pick out ideas for practising that particularly appeal to you.

From memory, no1 is mostly about 4-string bass while no2 goes more into playing 6-string.
  3. Cool,

I'll probably check out #2. I'm really looking for as many different ideas on soloing as I can get.

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'm going to move this to "general Instruction" and maybe even more folks will weigh in on the video.