1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

John Patitucci - ARGH!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kevcooke, Dec 6, 2006.

1. I'm actually seething, I've been wanting to see Patitucci for ages, and I've been checking from time to time to see if he has any dates in the UK. For a while I gave up, and I just checked today and found he played in London in November!! Bollocks!!

Oh well, learnt my lesson Im gonna keep my eyes peeled more. Right now, I'd love to see his trio. Has anyone seen them before? I'm playing in a jazz trio now and I feel I could learn a lot from seeing, or at least just hearing this trio but they don't have a CD out do they?

Any there any other six string bassists kinda like John Patitucci who play in a trio format, who DO have a CD I can get hold of?

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

http://www.johnpatitucci.com/

I believe his trio music is acoustic based. He doesn't play electric quite as much as he used to. He's doing a lot of acoustic gigs these days.

3. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I see he's playing as part of the Scofield trio in 2007 for a single date in Chile. That is a combination of players I'd like to hear.

4. I've seen him a few times with Wayne Shorter's band, and once leading his own band.
    I think where he truly excels is on the upright. Yeah, he's a great electric player, very fast, clean, schooled...but his upright playing is at the stratospheric level. Amazing tone, chops, and intonation. Probably the best overall upright player I've ever seen. His interaction with drummer Brian Blade is telepathical.

George Mraz definitely gives him a run for his money in the intonation department, though.

5. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    I saw JP with the Wayne Shorter group last year in London. They were really great, met JP after and had a chat - very nice guy, and monster player. I'd like to see him play electric though!

6. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Mraz might have the best intonation of any upright jazz bassist who ever lived. He's incredible.

7. patitucci is incredible live. lots more shredding than his records. I recommend him both on upright and electric. I've seen him twice and will see him any time he's playing close to where I'm living ...I always keep an eye on his tour page and so should you.

8. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    Don't feel bad, I missed him in NYC recently because of traffic.
    :mad: x 1000

9. DWBass

You have got to see Brian Bromberg on acoustic and Steve Rodby!

10. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I agree that the acoustic is where JP is at his most special.

Personally, I'd like to hear him play a different electric than the Yamaha 6 I saw him play. It looks like it takes him a bit of effort to play that bass. It doesn't seem like a natural fit for him. Maybe he's onto some other electric by now.

For harmonically sophisticated wizardry on an electric 6, Mike Pope sure does the job for my ears, and maybe yours too if you haven't heard him. There's a grace and fluidity there - he's totally comfortable on the instrument. Being a Fodera, he probably got involved in the design/build of it.

And he's also a great acoustic player to boot.

11. DWBass

I think by him playing acoustic bass so much he's used to having a large bodied instrument against his chest. I can't see him playing a small bodied instrument. I'd love to hear him on a Fodera though!

12. +1 John should switch to Fodera or Warwick

13. Actually, he's playing electric in his new trio.
    Brian Blade is on drums and Adam Rogers on guitar (one of my favs, BTW along Pat Metheny).

You can check them out here:

14. DWBass

15. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    He just rereleased his two VHS set of instructional videos on one DVD and it is worth getting. The playing is great and he is such a down to earth person. Also some of the pulloff hammer-on stuff is just impossible to do.

For all the groove stuff in the video he plays a four string Sadowsky and the 6 string stuff is on his Smith before he switched to Yamaha.

16. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I love those videos. My only complaint is the tone he gets on the Sadowsky for the groove stuff: he's sitting there talking about how much players like Jamerson and Rainey influenced him, and yet he's got this real brite thin tone that doesn't lend itself to those grooves at all.
    The briteness work on the 6 for the solos, but get a nice warm tone for the grooves.

17. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    That's the reason I prefer him on acoustic. I think his acoustic tone and technique have gotten immeasurably better over the years, but his electric tone has gotten worse!

18. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    He used to play a Ken Smith 6. The Yamaha is his signature model, and they redesigned it recently - I doubt he will be making any changes soon.

He has been getting a really different tone off of it recently though. I read that he started using half-rounds and raised his action. The result is a more mellow, less snappy tone. I liked it better before, personally.

19. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Too bad that vid's only 30 seconds long. Man, that bass tone is *THE* tone in my mind.

20. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I like his electric tone, and those "first generation" TRBJPI's sound excellent and are very easy to play. I liked it when his tone had a real "snap" to it, so I'm not looking forward to hearing him with half rounds and high action :meh:

That said, I didn't love his Ken Smith tone much, I'd like to hear him on a Fodera though (or even an Alembic!), that would be a treat and a half!