John Patitucci fans

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Maurice ElDarko, Dec 27, 2001.

1. I know I could have done a search, but I've never posted here before
    me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me.......

Anyhoot I have heard this guy burn up some classical songs, and he's pretty ace.

But since I got stuck into the Six String gear I've been huntin around for some good solos, and I here Johnny is pretty flash on the Six Shooter

Can anyone point me in the direction of some of those solos I can use to impress my friends?

Much obliged

2. Wow, you're ambitious. Well, check out "Giant Steps" on the Now disc. After that, check out "Scophile" off of Sketchbook (unfortunately now an import).

Others to look into: Oteil Burbridge and Matthew Garrison. Between JP, OB, and MG, your fingers are gonna bleed!

3. They already are, but that's cause I cut a wart off my pinky on my right hand, good thing I don't use it to play much, cause it's well out of action for a while.

Man if those CD's are imports into America, I have no chance of gettin them here, dang
  4. Now shouldn't be an import - I would guess that you wouldn't have a tough time getting a copy. It is unfortunate that Sketchbook is now an import - I think that is JP's best solo album to date. BTW - The Heart of the Bass is pretty cool, too.

Matt Garrison's solo disc is pretty awesome, too. You can only get that through his website (click here.
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Love Matt Garrison's playing, BUT-
    Gotta say, I was a little let down by that solo release. IF I'm recall, about 1/2 the tunes seemed to be 'demo' quality...don't get me wrong, nice stuff & all, just seemed a bit 'unfinished'(maybe more LIVE musicians woulda helped).

Burbridge's solo disc, IMO, IS happenin'.
    Same goes for either of Gary Willis' solo discs(Bent is a must-have, IMO).
    I also have Kai Eckhardt's recent solo album; I haven't spent enough time with it, though, to comment.

As far as Patitucci's solo stuff-
    WOW, GRP oughta be flogged for discontinuing his albums. Sketchbook is awesome, as is Now...I also like his debut disc a lot(about 1/2 electric Jazz-Funk, the other 1/2 Acoustic Latin-Bop). I haven't picked up his latest, Communion; anyone have that one?
  7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC

And here I thought I was the only person who thought that about Sketchbook.

I do like Another World too, though. Armand Sabal-Lecco is on that one as well.

John is the single reason I started playing 6-string, though he's also been (without of course meaning to be) responsible for my wanting to throw the thing out the window more than once.
  8. Maurice, for some nice six string solo work by John P., try to get a hold of his album,"Mistrua Fina." He's on that C string so much he should be arrested. The entire CD is GOOD! You feel like you're in Rio, or Sao Paulo.

Danny A, I bought Communion and thought the same; his talent is dripping all over the thing, but, nothing spoke my name. I'm gonna listen to it again.

The odd thing is (don't get jealous:D) The Bass Collective is only a couple of blocks away from me here in NYC. I want to go there to see him somtime, but, if he asks me to play something, I feel I'll act like a teenage girl and pass out. :rolleyes:

So close, yet~~~~~~~~~~~~~~so far. :D

Later guys.

Hey Richard L.. where you at? I'm at 6th and 23rd.
  9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Michael, I work in NYC (currently at Broadway & Spring, but soon perhaps to be moving over near penn Station), but I live up in Westchester, in Hastings-on-Hudson. Coincidentally, Patitucci lives up in Westchester too ...
  10. Thanks for the help y'all

I get that feeling sometimes also, like peggin my six out the window and buying one of those one stringed things.

11. Any suggestions on songs I should download by any of these chaps before I go CD hunting?
    I'm keen to learn, :D

12. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    My fav' Patitucci record remains to be his first. Sketchbook is a very close second. The first record has him playing a track called "Family"(I think that's the title?) that is a solo 6-string feature with Chick Corea playing some kind of percussion sample on his synth. And yes, "Scophile" from Sketchbook is friggin amazing...

I remember as a young(er) lad seeing him play here at the Wichita Jazz Festival and getting to hang out with him backstage. What a friendly guy...talked to me for sometime about composition as well as let me play his then-prototype TRB6. Needless to say I couldn't stop smiling that day! Will be going to Seattle next week, and lo and behold he's playing there every night for a week...and my friend's got comps to the gig!

Listening to Gary Willis' "Bent" while surfing this morning...this CD has been with me on almost every cruise ship I've worked in the past 2 1/2 years and I still can't get enough. Those sound clips on the Aguilar site are jems. Willis is the man!
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I tried buying that one from Amazon and after a few months they came back and said that it was unavailable ! :(