Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Patitucci Master Class @ David Gage's

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by free4all, Sep 3, 2004.

1. free4all

free4all

Apr 27, 2004
    Hello to everyone, I recently bought the John Patitucci Master Class dvd and I have to say that it's very interesting, although John doesn't play very much. One thing I was wondering: what's the title and author of the book John mentions (chapter 13, 1:14:12) when he explain a little bit of soloing using triads? I'm not an English speaking person :bag: and I thought I could ask you guys for some help. Also, does anyone here know that book?

Thanks

2. flat five

flat five

Sep 1, 2004
    In that spot you were asking about Patitucci mentions triad pairing and a book by Walt Weiskopf. On the Jamey Aebersold Jazz site there are two books in the theory section by Walt Weiskopf. Here is a description of the one I think it might be:

Title: "Coltrane: A Player’s Guide To His Harmony"
    Description: Book by Walt Weiskopf and Ramon Ricker
    Coltrane’s landmark composition Giant Steps used a new harmonic formula. This book examines it in detail as well as Countdown. Also, contains practice exercises and solo examples plus, how to use this new harmony over standard harmony. Also available in French and Japanese.

Sorry, I don't know how to make a link to the Jamey Aebersold website. :help: I probably can't make a smiley happen either - it just says help. Oh well....

3. TJC

TJC

Jun 28, 2002
    Los Angeles
    What is the concept?

4. TJC

TJC

Jun 28, 2002
    Los Angeles
    So in the case of that Cmaj7#11, something like:

C, E, G, A, F#, D