1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

John Patitucci master class video

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by jfv, Feb 2, 2006.

1. jfv

jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Happen to browse Dave Gage's web site and noticed
    this DVD of a class given by JP. He also has a 'Night
    with Eddie Gomez" DVD there, and a special if you
    order them together.

Couldnt resist that. Anyone listened to these yet?
    Will probably take a week to get cross country UPS
    ground :(

2. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    I picked up both as the special at Gage's last week.
    Both are really good.
    As far as instruction goes, the Patitucci is much better; Eddie's thing is more of "I'm here playing and philosophising" whereas John really demonstrates a host of topics. However, I've never seen Eddie's technique up close before, so it's a real treat. He really makes the instrument sing.
    The thing that impressed me most about the Patitucci video is that John really does know the Jazz repoitoire....that may sound like a ridiculous statement but for me it's been hard to know how much of the "standard" tunes he knows. For example, at one point a guy asks about the head to "Joy Spring" and John plays the first few measures (melody).....I don't know that alot of bassists know the head to that tune; it's not exactly the most common head to know on the bass, and John is not exactly considered a bebop kinda guy.
    I've followed John since the early 90's; I got his first instructional videofor electric bass back then, and now I've come to this realization: John is one of the best and learned bassists on the planet. He can be notey sometimes, but he really is the master of his generation; he even demonstrates a Louis Armstrong type solo on the bass, and it's really convincing!
    Anyways, both are a must have if you're a jazz bassist IMO.

*p.s. David Gage could've done a more professional job on the sound quality; these are really just the mic of the video camera type of sound; it's not that hard to set up good quality mics for a digital recording these days*