John Patitucci master class video

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by jfv, Feb 2, 2006.

1. jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Happen to browse Dave Gage's web site and noticed
    this DVD of a class given by JP. He also has a 'Night
    with Eddie Gomez" DVD there, and a special if you
    order them together.

Couldnt resist that. Anyone listened to these yet?
    Will probably take a week to get cross country UPS
    ground :(
  2. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    I picked up both as the special at Gage's last week.
    Both are really good.
    As far as instruction goes, the Patitucci is much better; Eddie's thing is more of "I'm here playing and philosophising" whereas John really demonstrates a host of topics. However, I've never seen Eddie's technique up close before, so it's a real treat. He really makes the instrument sing.
    The thing that impressed me most about the Patitucci video is that John really does know the Jazz repoitoire....that may sound like a ridiculous statement but for me it's been hard to know how much of the "standard" tunes he knows. For example, at one point a guy asks about the head to "Joy Spring" and John plays the first few measures (melody).....I don't know that alot of bassists know the head to that tune; it's not exactly the most common head to know on the bass, and John is not exactly considered a bebop kinda guy.
    I've followed John since the early 90's; I got his first instructional videofor electric bass back then, and now I've come to this realization: John is one of the best and learned bassists on the planet. He can be notey sometimes, but he really is the master of his generation; he even demonstrates a Louis Armstrong type solo on the bass, and it's really convincing!
    Anyways, both are a must have if you're a jazz bassist IMO.

*p.s. David Gage could've done a more professional job on the sound quality; these are really just the mic of the video camera type of sound; it's not that hard to set up good quality mics for a digital recording these days*