1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

John Patitucci - Teacher?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Kam, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    Does anyone have any experience with Mr. Patitucci as an instructor? I'm looking at applying to the CUNY for a masters...going to try to get a lesson with him beforehand, but just wondering if anyone has any firsthand experience.

Also if anyone has any info on QUNY...thinking about applying there as well. Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

2. I read that he studies with Thomas Martin. Even a sub-par job of transmitting the information that guy has under fingers would be amazing.

3. sibass89

sibass89

Jan 29, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    I've been to and played in master classes with Patitucci. He is a great teacher with a large influence on the classic side of education with Jazz.

His most recent teacher was John Schaeffer and the story goes that after he won his first Grammny he went to go study with Schaeffer to learn how to use the bow (who is a master of French bow). Schaeffer told him that everything was wrong and that he would have to fix everything or nothing at all, and Patitucci decided to stop what he was doing for a little bit and start from the complete beginning with Schaeffer.

Be prepared to throw away your real book, and be prepared for a lot of ear training. He was very knowledgeable in the master classes and although he didn't really go over any technique (because they were combo masterclasses), he really got everything moving for the bass players and the rhythm section and created a more solid foundation from them in a matter of minutes.

4. isolated

isolated Zenji Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Bronx, NY
    The CCNY program is fairly good from what I know. I have a friend who's been teaching there for a few years and I know him to be an excellent educator. I also know that it's pretty competative, especially in the bass department, as they only take a few students out of the many applicants each year. It's possible that you could get accepted to the program but might not get to study with John the first year. Which is not to worry, really, as you are able to study with just about anyone in NYC that you like, providing that you coordinate your lessons through the school.I would suggest contacting Scott Reeves, who is the jazz advisor there, and get the lowdown from him.

And Pattitucci is supposed to be a great teacher. A hard-ass, but a great teacher. In addition to being one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021