1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

John Patitucci

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by fuminator, Aug 26, 2007.

1. fuminator

fuminator

Jun 10, 2007
    New York
    Well, I just got back from seeing John Patitucci's trio at the Iridium and it was hands down AWESOME! It was my first visit to the new Iridium since it moved (although I live in NY) and it was well worth the hefty cover charge I had been avoiding for years.

His acoustic playing is just great: he played a solo piece (from title, Jesus something, struck me as a possible spiritual) in G and it sounded just like a slide guitar player. His vibrato is rich, the intonation is flawless (he spent like two minutes between each song tuning the bass), and of course his technique is amazing. He also strikes the strings with his right hand really hard and that's inspiring to see/hear. He also bowed a tune (from his latest cd) and while I'm not much of a bow player it was wonderful. He just makes it look so easy to play the bass. It seemed effortless! I was also awed by his electric playing: he seemed to have no problem switching instruments. They played a great version of "Bye Ya" with him on electric and it was fun.

Oh yeah, Steve Cardenas on guitar and Antonio Sanchez on drums were equally startling. I saw him play with Adam Rogers and Brian Blade last October but it was not nearly as energetic as this trio was.

If this band is playing anywhere I highly recommend anyone to go.

2. ThomasG

ThomasG

Jul 20, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    When I first started playing in 1987, I wrote John a letter asking numerous questions and he anserwed them all and in depth. He is a gentlman and a bad MF ! You cant say that for many people these days.

3. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I saw John here back around first of the year and it was great. Brian and John are a great combo, Adam's playing got boring because he uses that old school thick Jazz tone and little dynamics. I saw him two nights and different tunes each night but he did do the tunes you mentioned.

The only weird thing is when he played DB he took off his right shoe. Switch to BG he put his shoe back on. That was strange, any idea why he would do that, he did it both nights.

4. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Thanks for the review. He's one of my favorite DB guys. His playing with Wayne is awesome. I'll have to see if he's coming to Chicago. Steve and Antonio are bad dudes too.

If the tune he did was "Jesus on the Main Line" it is an old gospel tune. Lotsa people have done versions of it.

5. Chrix

Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Brooklyn
    June 6, 2008 at Symphony Center

Wayne Shorter Quartet
    Wayne Shorter, Danilo Perez, John Pattitucci, Brian Blade.

There's no way I'm missing this one...

6. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Great. Thanks man.