Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Patitucci

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by keithconn, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Just saw John Patitucci play with Mike Stern this past weekend at the Iridium in NYC. John was insane! He was climbing all over this nice 6string ... looked like pedulla??? Although he broke a string and got a shock in the middle of a solo, he was cranking!

Ron Carter and his band opened for them, and I know it belongs in the DB section, but he was simply from another planet!

Later -
    K.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

He has his own signature Yamaha 6-string which he usually plays - I've never seen him playing anything else since he signed up with them - apart from DB of course! ;)

There have been a couple of threads recently about JP - both here and in DB - you could have a look for opinions there?

3. It was his Yamaha. It looked and sounded insane!

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    any songs i should check out??...

i guess im missing a great bassplayer.

5. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    even though it's mainly DB, One More Angel is one of the most beautiful jazz recordings of the last 20 years, in my humble opinion... he's a remarkable musician.

the album that came out after that, 'Now' was very good too, with Scofield on guitar. He's had two others out since then that I haven't got - Communion is that latest...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

6. Although it's now out of print (at least in the US), Sketchbook is a personal fave. Now is very solid, too.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Growing is pretty good imo and worth checking out.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...also-
    Patitucci's playing & COMPOSING on Eric Marienthal's early solo albums,
    I'm thinking Crossroads & Round Trip...both have some decent electric grooves by JP("Crash Test Dummies").