Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Patitucci???

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Abr@hamBassBoy, Apr 6, 2003.

1. I heard a friend of mine the other day talking 'bout John Patitucci ... he stated that he was fabulous and that it was really weird that I had actually never heard of him... So could anyone recommend any songs in particiular demonstating his great skills?

2. The Heart of the Bass is my fave CD from him...

3. The best demonstration of his skill that I am aware of is something that cannot be bought (to the best of my knowledge).

It was his performance with Chick Corea and Dave Weckl on an episode of "At the Maintenance Shop" back in 1986 or so. Can't find the words to describe his incredible work on the electric and upright on that show.

John P. has a few CD's of his own, as well as the work with the Chick Corea Elektric Band.

I own the CD by John Patitucci "On the Corner" and it tends to spotlight his playing fairly well.

I have the album (yes, vinyl:D) of Chick Corea Elektric Band, called "Light Years" and personally I enjoy it's musical content a bit more.

4. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    His first solo disc has an amazing solo piece 'Our Family'. If you're into fusion, you could check his work with Chick Corea (Got a match? from Elektric band is a classic, eye of the beholder, beneath the mask, ...)

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Another good disc is "Sketchbook."
    It is probably his most diverse solo record.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

He plays Double Bass on the last two Wayne Shorter albums and the latest one - Alegria is a really great album - getting great reviews and has some wonderful tunes an arrangements. :)

I saw him play with Wayne in my home town and he has the best DB tone I've ever heard - great player, even if the music on the live gig wasn't for everybody.

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    John is one of the few who are equally monstrous on DB and BG. (Can't actually think of any others that seem to me quite on that level on both, except maybe Stanley Clarke, and I don't really care for Stanley's tone that much.) He's also a hell of a nice guy, very sincere and unassuming.

Sketchbook is indeed a good record. I also like Another World, which has some African-influenced stuff and features Armand Sabal-Lecco on 2nd bass on a couple of cuts. The live Shorter record is great if you like that kinda thing--which I do, very much--and his 2000 solo record Now is a little bit in that vein--more DB than BG, features Scofield, Brecker, Chris Potter, Bill Stewart.

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Im moving this to recordings, since you're asking for recordings instead by him rather than him as a bassist.

Growing is a good song as is Kingstown Blues

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    "Sketchbook" is the best of his GRP output. He does good work on both upright and 6-string there.

If you want to hear a sick six-string song, listen to "Got a Match" from the first Chick Corea Eletric Band album. He's playing fast unison lines with Corea on that one.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Get 'Beneath The Mask'-Elektric Band! You won't be disappointed! Patitucci was not a great slapper to begin with but he worked his ass off and became pretty good at it. He has some cool innovative slap grooves on this cd!

11. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    There's a cool Elektric band song where Dave Weckl triggers slap bass samples on drums and John solos on top of that. Does anyone remember what record that is on?

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I believe that tune is on Dave Weckl's second cd "Heads Up". I think it is all samples though! No live bass on that one. All sounds triggered by Dave. I have the cd so I'll check to be sure but I'm almost positive the liner notes said all sounds were triggered! And.....no overdubs!

13. And the name of that track is...

Mistrua Fina! :D

I have the CD right here next to me, and I honestly didn't know the name either. The entire disc is great. Track #6 starts with a two minute improv on his 6 string and it sounds a little like Stanley Clarke (God, if he heard me say this:( ) but, I think it's much more stylish than some of Stanley's solos. (Now neither one can get mad at me.)

Track #11 is a really dark acoustic study. I've always felt this could be the background music in a movie scene just after someone dies and their husband/wife/lover is remembering them.

I've had Communion about a year; it took this long for it to grow on me, but, it did.

I just bought Wayne Shorter's Alegria, but, haven't really gotten into it yet. I think I'll buy Sketchbook next. You can't go wrong with Mistrua Fina though.

Mike

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Are you still joking? I have that CD in front of me and it is called "Mistura Fina" - just to get the spelling right for anyone searching for it on the net! ;)

15. OOOOPPPs a DOOOPPPPs!

Bruce you are correct! :oops:

It is Mistura Fina. BUT...

What if I went back and edited my post to the correct spelling? :D

Nudge, nudge. Know what I mean?:)

Mike