1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

John Patitucci's best work?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by conner5833, Aug 16, 2012.

1. conner5833

conner5833

Jul 24, 2010
    New York City
    Since recently switching to 6 string, I have naturally been seeking out more 6 string players. I've been getting very much into the electric playing of John Patitucci, and I was wondering if any fans of his on here could point me toward any recordings they particularly like (either solo recordings or as a sideman).

Also, feel free to recommend any other 6 string players that you think I should check out

Thanks!

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

His first three or four CD's where virtually all 6 string, and also his tone is MUCH better (fatter, more creamy) on those CD's using his Ken Smith versus the later Yamaha recordings.

Can't remember the names of those CD's, but the first few are loaded with amazing upper register 6 string playing.

Just looked in my collection. 'John Patitucci' and 'On the Corner' are the place to start IMO. Also, of course, the first couple Chick Corea Electrik Band recordings.

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Other 6 string players... well... Anthony Jackson:D He invented the darn thing. Check out Steve Kahns 'Suitcase' recording with Anthony.

4. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Somebody asked this question years ago, and just like now, Ken and I responded.

Here is the old thread, and I'll copy the text below. He's released a couple recordings since I wrote this, none of them really great frankly, so this may still be helpful.

I also like Oteil Burbridge on 6-string. He's a guy who seems to play the instrument very naturally, not a guy who is trying to show you at every moment that it's a SIX STRING he's playing. He's got a broad body of work with The Peacemakers (the band he leads), The Aquarium Rescue Unit, The Allman Brothers (not normally on six string), Gov't Mule, and others. He sort of straddles jam, groove, and jazz.

EDIT: Since I wrote that review, I did really get into Patitucci's recordings as a sideman with Edward Simon, notably "Poesia" and "Unicity". Those two albums were probably my favorite jazz discoveries from 2010 (or so), and JP makes some very cool contributions. There's some acoustic, but at least as much electric, IIRC. It's straight ahead jazz, but very modern. Me likey.

5. I can't comment on Patitucci, not my cup of tea, never liked his electric sound that much.
    You might want to check out (in addition to the already mentioned Anthony Jackson), Roscoe Beck with Robben Ford and Dave Carpenter (RIP) with Allan Holdsworth or Scott Henderson.
    Abe Laboriel and John Myung are others that come to mind. Myung, however, changed to 5 string years ago, I think he doesn't use a 6 string anymore.

6. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    He has a custom EBMM Bongo6 since Systematic Chaos tour.

For John Patitucci I have Line By Line, Songs Stories and Spiritual and Remembrance. As a side man I have Joseph Tawadros's Hours Of Seperation, but he plays DB the whole CD ( if you like arabic music it is really nice ). I also have the DVD of Chick Corea live at Montreux. 3 hours of "OMG how does they do that?"

Also for 6 strings players, Alain Caron is really something. Les Claypool also have some nice song on 6 strings ( Tommy The Cat )

7. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    I'm with you regarding the Ken Smith tone-much more appealing to my ears! John is an incredible player-period! But, he sounded better on his Smith.

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

8. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    The interesting thing is that in recent years he's modified the tone on his Yamahas such that it sounds more like a Ken Smith tone to my ears. Apparently he's using half-round strings and higher action, eliminating the trademark sizzle he had been getting off of his Yamaha for years. Personally I like the sound he's getting right now the least, I did like the Ken Smith tone, but I dug the sizzly Yamaha tone the most.

A good example of that tone was the tune "Scophile" off of Sketchbook.

9. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    I remember when we were in college together, he was playing with the jazz band and I was studying recording engineering. Even then I was embarrassed to say that we played the same instrument - one of the most naturally talented individuals I've ever met.

I have to say the two albums with Chick were unique in both the caliber of the work and the time period it was recorded. Bernie Kirsh, who co-produced the first Elektric album (1986), took most of the first takes for the record. They were "spontaneous, even magical" when they were recorded.

The other part of the story is that these were some of the first 'true digital' recordings, as PCM technology was still in it's infancy. May I suggest listening to cuts from the first album, then the second album (Light Years) back-to-back, and you will notice just how experimental the recording techniques were...

10. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    His capability as a soloist is just astounding. Not only technically, but also creatively. There simply have not ever been very many musicians who can do what he does.

11. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    anyone know who owns that smith 6 string now? i know he sold it sometime ago...

12. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    this is without a doubt his best work:

13. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Steve Bailey and Alain Caron come immediately to mind

14. That's funny, I guess when the boss tells you to do something you can either do it or quit.But the song and the playing is still great....

15. Highs&Lows

Highs&Lows

Jun 12, 2010
    Europe/Germany
    Patitucci is great!
    for six string also check out:
    Anthony Jackson, Oteil Burdbridge, Mike Pope, Tony Grey, Christian Galvez, Viz Maurogiovanni, Skuli Sverisson, Nico Assumpcao, Jimmy Haslip, and so on.

16. Check out Otiel Burbridge. He's all over the place but his solo albums have some seriously funky, groovy, slamming 6 string playing.

Adam Nitti is a monster too. His solo album Evidence is crazy.

17. I was going to suggest Adam Nitti too. He's really, really good. He has a good mix of slap, groove and melody with chording and whatnot. Great stuff!