John Patitucci's choice of bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Something else to consider is that back in the day, Smith was pretty much the only option if you wanted a good six-string. A lot of guys might have gone with Smith because it was their only choice. On the other hand, some of them might have only left Smith because they wanted to try something different once it became available.

2. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    I do really prefer his Ken Smith higher register sound on his first album.
    And its true it has more warmth to it than his current basses.

However I think using Yammato and Yammato-san is totally unnecessary.

ImprecisionBass likes this.
  3. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    Is this some sort of backhanded disrespect of Japanese names?

4. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    The Yamaha is quite a bass! And one can see by the super flat radius that was indeed custom built by his especifications.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    +1 That thought crossed my mind too.

6. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    I'm sure Mr. Smith is a great guy, but if you read some of his other posts in other forums, he sometimes comes off as "a little angry or aggitated" in his responses..... Maybe it just gets lost in translation....who knows?

7. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    I played a Yamaha JP that I liked alot a few years back. Sure, it says Yamaha on the headstock, but it was nicer than a lot of boutique basses I've played. The fingerboard felt huge to me, but it was solidly built, and sounded really nice. I've never played a KS bass that I really felt comfortable with, Certain models sound great to my ears in the hands of the right player, but ergonomically, none of the basses I played fit me well.

As for the Yammamoto-san, thats pretty much straigth up racist Ken. You are of course entitled to his opinion.. does that mean this public forum is the appropriate venue to air dirty laundry between manufacturers or past endorsing artists? I don't think so. Just sounds petty to me.

8. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Yeah, I felt the same way. I hope that's not the case, though. Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding.

9. AFAICS it's simple: he probably just likes the Yamaha better. I doubt that it's money directly--why would he, at this stage in his career, play a bass he doesn't like? What would be the point? After all, the money he originally spent on the Smith is long gone--it's not as if he would have had to keep shelling out payments to keep playing that bass. Continuing to play the Smith wouldn't have cost him more than starting to play the Yamaha. Maybe he makes some royalties on his sig model (the JP) now, but when he first started playing Yamaha, there was no sig model, just the TRB6.

I don't see what the big deal is, personally. He was playing that bass, now he's playing this one. Doesn't make Smith suddenly a lesser bass than it was.

But yeah, that mocking of Japanese names didn't sit well with me either. Seemed, at best, lame and bitter. Certainly doesn't make me think better of KSB.

10. I can't believe I'm going to use this term, but "back in the day" I desperately wanted a Smith Sixer. I played literally over a hundred, looking for "my sound".

Without exception, each one was a work of luthier art. And also without exception, as ready as I was to plop down the cash and live in Smith heaven, I just could not get the booty out of it that I wanted.

I still love them as an instrument, and still wish they were what I preferred, but alas, it just is not to be.

I still think that they are one of the most well made basses ever, just not for me either.

And don't under estimate the power of having your name on the headstock of a bass. Back in that same day, another Japanese manufacturer was trying to sign a friend of mine as an endorser, and even let him spec out a bass that they made for him to demo.

I was such a peice of poop, that he didn't even keep the prototype.:rollno:

It looked like an unpolished turd, and played like one too.

He stayed with his trusty music man, and he is still one of the funkiest guys I know.

I have read Ken Smiths posts for some time now, and I appreciate his take on various opinions of his basses.

He builds what he builds, and if you like it great, if not, no sweat off his back. In my opinion, that is the mark of a great artist. No luthier will please everyone, ever. Play what you like, and be happy.

Peace;)

11. malicous

malicous

Apr 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I rather like the tone [he used to get] from his old Yamahas (the 34" scale model). I think it had a more distictly JP tone, as opposed to the Smith tone, which is also a very beautious sound, but ther was nothing distinctly JP about it. I don't much care for the tone of his second signature Yamaha model (the one with 35" scale neck and 26 frets). It does't sound as clear to me. Anyone else notice the difference?

bassomane likes this.
  12. Elemetal

Elemetal

Mar 10, 2006

Lol Yamaha's are really underrated. The good ones sound beutiful.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The TRB's are not a very bright sounding bass but it is well balanced sonically! I own a TRB1005 and if the build quality of mine is an indicator of how much better the JP sig or even the standard TRB models are, it's gotta be one heckova bass! I will own one (and a Nathan East sig) some day! I have to say that JP navigates that huge fingerboard like the master that he is! I prefer that subdued tone (and that of Ambush basses as well)! I hate that sharp trilly upper register slap sound!

14. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i preferred the sound of his smith, although 6 stringers have come a long way in terms of options since then. he uses the piezo's in the bridge nicely live. one thing that people haven't really mentioned; not only is it an endorsement deal, where he plays the yamaha and gets paid to do so probably, but he has his own signature bass being mass produced. that's like an endorsement deal on steriods. probably a great deal more money than a regular endorsement deal where the guy just agrees to hold the bass in every picture that's taken of him. i dont see how one could turn that down provided that it was a quality instrument. (and i'm sure his personal bass is not the same as the bass coming off the assembly line) i'm sure if ken smith offered him a deal like that he would have taken it.

15. That was my thought too.

Ken, your comment sounded like something Ed Roman would say.:bag:

16. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    I respect each luthier's strong opinions and building principles about their basses, and Ken really does have a BIG opinion on everything and he is not afraid to voice it out. You'll probably get more of him on the double bass forum. I'll say a huge percentage are years of experienced and helpful info(respect to that), but i believe there is a line to draw when its a discussion forum... not an alley shooting forum.

Just recently i read a thread over at grooveshop forum under "ask carey" asking about finishes. There were some misunderstanding and Carey cleared it up in the MOST gentlemanly and "CORRECT" way. I personally think that's the mark of a great man and luthier.

17. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    There was a luthier in San Diego that did some work for a guitar player friend of mine.
    We stopped by there once and he had a neck and body for not only JP, but also Billy Sheehan.

I seriously dought JP would play an off the shelf bass that you or I would buy.

I loved his sound with the Smith, he has gone on record to say that it wasn't his thing.
    Mr. Smith said it best, he can't build a bass for everyone.
    JP isn't any different really from the rest of us as a person as far as I can tell.

18. Ken, I think the biggest issue is that we as a Forum don't know your personal stories and that simply reading your first post in the context that you wrote it in, it came off as more than a bit of "bashing", "sour grapes"... however one wants to put it. As a text-only medium, it's very hard to notice inflection or tone of voice - adding an emoticon/smiley helps greatly clarifying in this regard.

There also the fact that there are still people that misjudge the quality of workmanship from the Far East, and especially after how-many-years of hearing/reading "Ibeenhad" and the like such as terms you used can be a sore spot to some of us for a variety of reasons... nationality, ethnic and cultural, our choice in instruments. The fact that you now mock us, referring to us as "ladies" because we choose to bring up what we feel are legitimate issues doesn't help matters much. :(

I'd like to thank you for your clarification on the business matters your brought up, but perhaps in the future thinking about how "your voice" comes across in print verses spoken aloud might avoid differences such as these.

19. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    +1

20. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Inactive

Dec 2, 2004
    So, not only will you give me a bass for free but you'll give me my own signature model, let me design it and pay me to play it??? But I love my Ken Smith..... what's that??.... You'll build me one that is just like my Ken Smith???....All I have to do is sign on the dotted line??

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 26, 2021