John Patitucci's choice of bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Sep 18, 2006.

1. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    Ken, you two guys just dun get it do you?

We are saying your so-called "jokes" are not inflected on text.
    SO dun go on anymore about artist getting an endorsement which is all "money-based", and not playing what they really want to play.
    Any company has the right to do their own marketing techniques to profit. Artist endorsements have their very own choice.

MikeBass has quoted "JP said your basses aren't his thing", so dun be sourgrapes man. As much as i love your basses and think they are killers, you are just putting yourself down in this forum.

PS: To add to it. we all know "san" at the end of a japanes name is "Mr", so you calling Yamaha=Yammato doesn't qualify for a joke, especially when others advise you should add a smiley to the end of your "jokes".

2. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    heh-- he said "wong"!:ninja:

DUN say wong, prease. ;)

3. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I suspect that the music business is just that-- a business.:scowl:

I'd like to add this thought:

**Buy American made stuff.** That includes: shirts, shoes, cars, computers, cell phones, paper, pencils, pens, furniture, fixtures, AND BASSES.

I won't own a bass that's not made in America.

JMHO!

4. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Inactive

Dec 2, 2004

5. mstott25

mstott25

Aug 26, 2005
    Guntersville, AL
    I've never understood why Yamaha's aren't more popular to be quite honest. Yamaha makes some killer basses for a reasonable price. Off the top of my head the guys I can think of that played Yamaha's when I saw them playing around LA were John Patitucci, Nathan East, Dave Carpenter, Abraham Laboriel and Todd Johnson. Jimmy Haslip has used the Yamaha's in the past as well. I don't know what Dave Carpenter is playing these days as I haven't seen him in a few years, but he definitely played a Yamaha when I saw him and he definitely didn't do it for any endorsements or money. Abe Laboriel used to bring different basses with him to just about every gig and he almost always had a Yamaha in his stable. Why does John play Yamaha's, because they made him a killer bass. In fact, there was a time when John, Dave, and Todd were THE six string jazz bassists in LA and all three of them were playing Yamaha's. I think I heard before that Laboriel is the one who turned Patitucci on to Yamaha's, which would make sense. :rollno:

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Pffft. For some arcane reason, Nathan East seems to like those cheesy Yamahas, too. I challenge anyone to find a flaw in the craftsmanship of my cruddy ol' Yamaha (also a $4,000 bass, list). None of my other $4,000 basses (see profile) have any better fit and finish than the Yamaha, and none of them sound better at all. At that level of sound quality, "better" is 1,000 percent subjective.

Attached Files:

ImprecisionBass likes this.
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Where did you see that? If you're talking about Janek Gwizdala, he said he is endorsing Fodera- he's still paying for all of his basses.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It must be because they're paying him. Apparently that's the only acceptable reason.

10. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    My friend has a similar Yamaha and it sounds and plays unbelievable. Build quality is fine on it too. I played a Nathan East signature a Guitar Center and was impressed by that too. I think Yamahas sound great and are really good for a production bass.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I would like to announce that I will be happy to sell out to any bass or amp manufacturer who would like to buy me. I'll wear your merch onstage during Bowzer concerts, I'll let you put your logo really big on my stuff, and I'll put up big posters that say "Jimmy Miller plays ________" all across the stage. I will also stand on a giant riser with a gigantic lit sign with your logos on it. People say that's selling out? Brother, I'm all for it!

12. Yamaha is a one of the worlds biggest companies that deserves respect for offering a range of products of great quality for a very decent price.
    Very bad idea to refer to 'back in the day' to explain a racist joke. Everyone with a little common sense knowns what went on 'back in the day'.

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Indeed, I was surprised to find out that John had went to Yamaha after playing Ken Smith basses. Apart from the Attitude bass, I had been largely unimpressed by Yamaha basses, but then I played an original TRBJPI, and I was amazed. Even when you listen to John, they sound very high class, even better than a Smith imo!

I don't think there was anything wrong with that slightly dark tone of the Smith, especially for backing work, but with the Yamaha, it just has a brilliant, high class sound. It certainly sounds better for soloing imo.

if I ever get the chance to get one of those 34" scale JP basses I will!

And the "Yammoto" thing is not on :scowl:

14. Jules Forcella

Jules Forcella

Aug 28, 2005
    Frankfurt a.M. / Deutschland
    Endorsing Artist: AccuGroove
    I don't like JP's Sound with the Yamaha......a very uninspiering sound...

Ciao, Jules

15. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Inactive

Dec 2, 2004
    Bad example, and i've changed it. But I have seen for sale ads that state "I am endorsing Brand X now so I am selling off my Brand Z stuff". Don't think that's how it works? Then you are dillusional, I know players who were told this when they were endorsed. If someone is paying you to play their stuff, you can bet you'd better not be seen with someone elses.

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

But Ken - these guys don't want to know "the truth" - they want to critique your writing style!! :D

I hope they remembered to tell their grandmothers to stop sucking on those eggs....;)

17. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    That JP6 is soooo sweet !
    A wonderful bass , what a sound ..
    Its a really good player to ..

18. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    The way I see it is this. As an artist you have a preference of what basses you like to use. There is a balance between playing what you like, and taking advantage of lucrative offers. A smaller, handmade builder (not a larger mass production company) is inherently at a disadvantage because they do not produce the volume to be able to offer players what the bigger boys can. And in the end, like it or not, people respond to dollar signs.

When I worked for ZON, I spoke with a few artists about the potential to endorse. They would call raving, saying "oh man, I played this bass in a store, and I loved it! I'm going on this big arena tour and I would love to use your bass for that!!" Once I told them the rock bottom price that we were able to offer them their bass at, (which was literally the lowest number we could go without losing our shirts,) they would start talking about how Ernie ball was offering to give them 3 free basses for the tour. Sorry, we can't do what Ernie Ball can do, for example, go out on warp tour in an party bus/roving green room filled with 20 basses to be given to the next fashion band that will probably be forgotten in two years.

And that discrepancy should be obvious for any professional musician with a slight sense of business (unfortunately it's not). Endorsements are sticky issues, and its true that the smallest luthier will offer something free to the right guy, but the "right guy" usually has a very lucrative exclusive deal with another comapny.

So my point is, can anyone blame JP for going evaluating his options and going with a lucrative deal? I sure can't. (the fact that he sold his smith for x amount of $$ is kind of unfortunate, and when you think about it, I wonder why he did, since I'm sure he didn't NEED to.)

I'm not saying you should sell out at the first chance, I'm not saying that I like Yamaha's better than Ken Smiths, but I am saying that there are practical advantages that are hard to overlook in a business sense. Lets see... Endorsement deal, signature bass (of which he probably gets a cut from each one sold), clinic deal, worldwide product support, lots more advertising copy etc....

And again, Ken, I do take your rantings with a grain of salt. We've met, so the sarcasm in your aggressive posting style isn't lost on me. Like I said, you are welcome in my book to think what you want. But thinking what you want, and taking responsibility for how and where you say it is something else.

19. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine

The gospel according to Ken? Not exactly my definition of the truth, but OK...

20. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Using "Ladies" as a sarcastic/derogatory remark? After the "Yama-san" remarks? Wow.....it must be his good natured humor just isn't coming thru in his posts....
    I have many Asian business friends overseas and I can tell you they wouldn't appreciate the "-san/moto" joke at all, esp in the context it was written.
    BTW, where are those KDS basses made?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021