John Patitucci's choice of bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Don't go there.

He clearly loves to criticize other people's business strategies, but gets very defensive when he's asked about his own... :rollno:

But you're right.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Racist jokes aside, what does it matter if someone is being paid to play a certain instrument?

Being paid to play a cerain style bass is as valid a way to pay the bills as is playing bass on a tv show backing wannabe singers.

Anyone yelling "sellout" is most likely yelling it from the cheap seats, so who really cares what they think?

Is there an uproar when an athlete switches from Reebok to Nike, too?

3. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    ken, just to stop the naysayers, i would be more than happy to accept an endorsement deal on your black tiger line...

4. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Come on,
    KSD "design" , A brooklyngear.com reference on your web site, "we stock a few for local businesses, we share a booth at NAMM" But you have noting to do with it.....
    Soungs like the old have my cake and eat it too routine.......at least MTD, G&L etc admit their business relationships
    You shold fess up, you AND JP have business deals
    You're getting free plugs alright, don't know how good they are though..................

5. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    what about my black tiger? :-(

(now that's a kickin' bass)

6. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    FWIW, and hopefully it's worth something, I know Ken personally and there's not a racist bone in his body. Chill people. He doesn't need me to defend him, but I'll do it anyway.

Also, please ease up on the lectures about how Ken needs to change his tone. If you don't dig what he has to say, there's this groovy little function here called the "ignore list". I'd suggest you make use of that instead. Considering there's no one on the planet besides JP that has more knowledge on this particular subject, that would be kinda silly though.

Whatever you guys guess about the money JP has made from his Yamaha sig, you'll most likely guess low. Not that there's anything wrong with that, quite to the contrary. Whatever you think he makes to do a clinic, you'll probably guess low. Whatever you think he gets paid to do a gig, you'll probably guess high.

Paid endorsements are rare. Most endorsement deals allow the artist to purchase instruments at dealer cost. However, if there is a signature model being produced, that artist is not only getting paid for the license to use the name, but receive a commission on every bass sold. Marcus Miller will be able to put all of his kids through college on the Fender sig deal alone. You cats know how much college costs these days...right?

7. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine

I thought you wrote the texbook.....;)

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Has he got a lot of kids....? ;)

9. His 'funny' bone clearly is...

This thread was started to discuss J. Pattituci's choice of bass. Just check page 1 to see mr. Smith crashing in, clearly offending several people with his first post that was disrespectful at least, spoiling a perfectly good thread.

Why should people ease up and just ignore comments like that? A TB-member (because that's what he is, with the same rules applying to him as to anyone else around here) should always be confronted with behaviour that, according to many contributors to this thread, is unacceptable.

ImprecisionBass likes this.
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Talk about a sense of humour bypass....:p

11. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine

The second sentence here makes the first sentence irrelevant, unless JP, AJ, and Stanley fall into the category of guys whose name couldn't do anything for you. Did they pay the regular price, or did they get a discount because of name recognition?

12. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    oh well... cant hurt to try can it?
    anyway, when i was a teenager, long before the internet, i used to order ken's catalog just so i could look at pictures of his basses. now i'm an adult and i still do the same thing, except on the internet, and i still cant afford a smith...but now i get to look at his uprights on his site too. hey ken, check out my upright playing on the sampler page on the db side...

(apology for the total thread hijack)

13. This ain't about me, mr. Smith. If you do a search in this thread there's lots of people offended by YOUR remarks. And you're repeating yourself with the name game. The last time I already told you my real name. I suggest you go ask other people on this forum who use a nickname instead. Might be a hell of a job, but you seem determined enough... ;)

14. Embryodead

Embryodead Inactive

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    ON TOPIC.

It's been said in many interviews with Myung and Sheehan that Yamaha's production crew bend over backwards on their sig models.

And for the most part i know Myung plays an unmodified off-the-shelf Yamaha all the time and has since they made him his bass. Billy Sheehan is a bit different obviously if you've ever seen any of his live videos the LED lights on his bass alone would jack up the price 1000 dollars.

my 2 cents are Yamaha makes great gear in every field and has for a very very long time. JP maybe playing a bass that says Yamaha on it, but it's his bass.

Edit: And in my opinion Ken Smith comes off as a dick, he probably isn't but he needs to learn a couple of Business Ethics rules "Never make a joke that's only funny to you"

15. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I guess I'm late to this fine discussion, but here I go:

I'm sure Patitucci gets paid for using Yamaha, but the cat has enough money to buy any bass he wants. . . If he didn't like Yamaha, he would have switched to something else already.

If his old Smith bass sold for 3X its value, it was only because it was Patitucci's former bass. . . Have you looked at eBay lately? Smiths are selling for less than 50% their original value, even almost-new ones.

Isn't Ken just putting his name on a Korean bass (KSD), just to make "money money money". . ?

:mad:

16. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    People please.........is your intent here to question ken's edgy sense of humor or his business practices?????

While his original comments may have offended some (my wife and I thought they were funny but to each thier own) He obviously didnt mean them to be derogatory towards asians, he has said so. As far as i am concerned, that issue is over.

His business practices on the other hand are his own affairs and should not be criticized by people who frankly dont have any full knowledge of what they are talking about. If ken has an issue with JP changing bass brands that is his perogative. His company lost a lot of publicity and "face time" when JP switched to Yamaha and we dont know how the events transpired so Ken may or may not have the complete right to be a bit pissed by the whole deal, bottom line......WE DONT KNOW so stop assuming he is just being bitter or pissy with out knowing the details.

As for endorsements, money vs integrity is the common theme in most professions. If a bass company came at me and told me they wanted to endorse me and give me free gear, as long as it wasnt being made by orphan children for 12 cents a day, I would jump on it. It's a sound business move.

On the other hand, if I was a custom luthier and a big name like JP stopped using my basses in favor of a much larger company who threatens smaller custom luthiers, I would be a bit cheesed off.

Everyone crys foul when Wal-Mart comes into town and drives local mom and pop stores out of business right? Well, in this case Ken is the mom and pop luthier. A bit more expensive but better quality, better service, and made with love and custom attention. I am sure Yamahas are great basses, my first bass was a Yamaha and I have very fond memories of it. But my friend has a Smith 5er and you can feel the love and care in it. There is a vibe of warmth that comes from it, not scientific I know but it is the truth.

17. So, . . . . . . how does one go about deleting their own thread? :rolleyes:

As far as I'm concerned, the question has been answered fully. It seemed like a good oportunity to get your name out there on your own bass line, receive endorcements, and enjoy life a little better.

Would I buy a Yamaha JP series? Probably not (plan on going the Stambaugh direction).

18. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Report the thread to a moderator and ask that it be deleted in entirety. They probably won't do it, but they may "clean it up" by deleting off topic posts.

19. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    Nah, don't delete it. It's actually been pretty informative. It's interesting to watch people play themselves out.

20. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The original thread poster can click on the "thread tools" pull-down menu and select "close thread" or "delete thread."

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021