John Patitucci's choice of bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Sep 18, 2006.

1. I suppose I could do this, but I wouldn't want to make anyone angry for deleting a post they were interested in. However, it MAY be the best line of action. Post has been sufficiently answered, but has been sidetracked.

*thinking, . . should I do it* :meh: :confused:

2. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    I say leave it up,

I'd also like an answer from Ken clarifying his statement about what endorsing artists pay, especially high profile artists like JP, AJ, and Stanley. He said they all pay the going rate, but then he said they get discounts. I'd like to know which is the case, and I think that definitely has a bearing on the topic at hand.

3. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    I say leave it up. I love seeing people's reactions to Ken's dry humor. :D

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but two musicians whom John plays with off and on have been playing Yamaha stuff for years. I'm sure I've seen Dave Weckl playing Yamaha drums since the first "Elektric Band" record and I think Chick Corea has been known to play Yamaha pianos for many, many years.

Maybe it's the influence of these great musicians that had John thinking - "hey those drums and that piano sound fricking excellent! I wonder what kind of bass they could make?"

BTW, Yamaha pianos and drums are top shelf. I don't see people slogging Chick Corea for not playing Steinway.

And if Yamaha is supporting modern Jazz music with high profile endorsements I say GO YAMAHA!!!! It's got to be tough to make enough instruments with some jazz musician's name on it compared to say a Mark Hoppus bass. *I know - I've got the Peavey Palaedium....*

India_Sierra likes this.
  5. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    I LOVE THE INTERNETS! Lets stop attacking eachother...mmkay?

Yamaha = good bass guitars

Ken Smith = good bass guitars

ITS ALL ABOUT WHAT YOU THE "USER" LIKES. Who cares what John likes. Its about you.

/thank you thank you..
    //ill be here all night
    ///Beer is on me...cant we all just get along?

6. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    apparently, it was so dry, it shriveled up and evaporated.

7. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    +1 I'll have a Guiness, thank you

8. jazzy grille

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    [​IMG]

here ya go. good choice...next!

9. Not into beer. I'll have a Wildberry Margarita. :smug:

Let's change the topic off of "attacks" and talk about the Yamaha bass and how good it is.

How does the JP series bass compare with . . . . say. . the Peavey Cirrus, or the Ibanez higher end Sound Gears?

10. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Next, I'll move on to a Rogue Imperial Stout.

11. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Jazzy Grille owns this thread.

12. jazzy grille

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida

nah i like playing with fire how about........:meh: Percision vs. jazz ? :eyebrow: and tag-team that with some dual coil action. :)

13. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Wouldn't you know it. . . Ken Smith deleted all his posts in this thread. . .

14. jazzy grille

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida

i wonder if the origonal poster had any inclination that his thread was going to turn into a flame-war? Did anyone truthfully answer his question? I cant read too much bullshiat or a I get a headache (thats why i am asking).

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I tried to speculate as to the answer.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The only person who can answer that question is John Patitucci, and currently jokerjkny is looknig for an article where JP said that it wasn't his thing, although joker's post seems to be gone now.

Everything else claiming he did it for money or endorsements is purely speculation.

17. That was me Brian.
    I looked for a little bit last night, but I didn't find it.

18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    No wonder I couldn't find a post by joker in this thread :p

Eh, you guys are interchangable anyways ;)

19. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I wonder if he's off thinking up more clever ways to belittle another company's name? Maybe he could print his degrading remarks on his brochures, perhaps they should read "Smith Basses - better than you're average Yammotto bass"?

What a great way to use the TB forum. :rollno:

Pathetic.

20. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    I remember seeing it on ebay for sale by John about a year ago. He included a letter talking about how the bass helped develop his sound and a signed copy of a CD. I guess he wanted to sell it as a collectors item...Maybe he was in tax trouble?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021