John Patitucci's choice of bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Sep 18, 2006.

1. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I say we all relax our "rhetorical skills" and have a laugh.

Props to Ken for calling a spade a spade, whether it is true or not. Or he means it or is joking.

2. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida

calm yourself..... this thread is done. we dont need anymore of this.. mmkay? :)

3. Hajime

Hajime

Jan 18, 2003
    Tokyo
    Firstly, I don't think Ken has any hosility for Japanese and Japanese makers, though he wrote something (I forgot sorry). As I'm Japanese and feel nothing from that kind of expression. Also, I know him for long time, but I never feel that.
    There are many sentence "The Bass is Great!" or somthing like that very often here. But it is up to poeple's experience. I mean if someone plays only non-Fender Style Basses, and on the other hand, people only plays Fender Style Basses, or someone who knows double-bass much. All have different idea due to different experience. So I think "Great" has so many meaings sometimes. But "So many men, so many minds". I respect this.
    Also, I talked with Ken regarding to endorsement business. He is not interested in at all. Because he has very simple reason. If he gives his basses for someone, who will cover or pay? It means common customers must pay for that. For business reason, endorsement business is quite important and needed, but if he thinks just he wants to make better basses with small number and for long years, I think it is very fair for many bass players.
    I think this is his style, so, not good or bad. But I think this is Ken's style I like. Personally, endorsement is special rights for skillful bass players, as they uses very long time to get wonderful art. But there are many good ideas for everyone.

4. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I may have been able to write this better (English being my native language) but I surely could not have said it better.

+1 Hajime-san.
    (I hope that's culturally cool :cool: )

5. Atalante

Atalante

Feb 2, 2007
    I'm never going to get a KS after this and as a Swedish citizen I could afford several. Disgusting attitude.

6. catboyzee

catboyzee

Jul 20, 2007
    I remember when JP switched from the Ken Smith to the Yamaha. I was po'ed for many years afterward...:). I still don't like it to this day, but I understand now. I've played a couple Yamaha TRB 6 strings; they are actually pretty good instruments IMO. They just don't sound or play like a Ken Smith, which really isn't necessarily a bad thing.

7. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    I remember when matsumoto hino switched from miller lite to dos equis and that was outrageously disgusting.
    John patitucci vs ken smith 6 pages long zombie thread.

And my question is:
    35ahux.jpg

TolerancEJ likes this.
  8. Up the dose

Up the dose

Mar 10, 2013
    I've owned a both a Ken Smith and a Yamaha and I prefered the Yamaha too.
    Not surprising at all.

9. catboyzee

catboyzee

Jul 20, 2007
    I gotta admit when JP switched from the Jackson/Smith to the Yamaha it really hurt my feelings...and my ears. For me that all-too-brief period that JP used that Jackson/Smith bass was of a beautifully perfect symbiosis of player/instrument. I've played a few Yamaha TRB 6's and while they are by no mean slouchy instruments, they sound and play nothing like a Smith. I simply prefer the sound of that Jackson/Smith bass more than any electric bass JP has ever played. TBH aside from the Marcus Miller slap tone, the JP/Smith sound is a standard by which I judge 6 string bass guitar tone to this day.

10. If a Vampire and Zombie bite each other in the midst of battle, maybe they simply switch roles.

Flaked Beans likes this.
  11. Shaggai

Shaggai

May 7, 2018
    New Jersey
    I think it's like Shrodinger's Cat - the bitten zombie would be in a state of is vampire, is not vampire but only if not observed. So if you stuff it in a box it would just be like the cat. Observed, well who cares, a zombie is always a zombie.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 27, 2021