John Paul Jone's basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman1185, Oct 8, 2003.

1. I was flipping through Led Zeppelin's greatest hits CD liners, and I was studying JPJ's basses. It looks like he's playing a short scale Jazz in a lot of the pictures. Am I crazy? I noticed that he was playing a Mustang in one picture, so I thought he might like the short scale instruments. Anybody know?

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Never heard of a short scale jazz unless it was a mod. Maybe but I think they are regular jazz basses.

3. Yeah, I might just be imagining it, or he might just be standing at a weird angle.

4. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    I'm kind of partial to this JPJ model myself ;)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I'm not sure which bass you're looking at, but I'm guessing it is his high C 5-string. Jonesy didn't own a Mustang, but did own a 3-color w/ pearloid block inlay Fender 5-string, among others, such as his "telecaster" bass, hit Alembics, an electric upright, etc. The '70s Fender 5-string looks a bit like a Mustang, so I'm guessing that's the one you saw. ;)

6. He just played it at the neck p'up, so it looks a little different.

7. there was just a thread regarding vintage short scale Jazzes that were found on Ebay, the type JPJ used to play and of course I can no longer find it.

Maybe someone else who saw it and knows what I'm babbling about may help out help...

Glenn:rolleyes:

8. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
  9. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I have seen the "How the west was won" dvds, it looked like he played a jazz most of the way through, and at the end in Knebworth, an 8-string tuned in octaves. I'm not for sure on the last one, but I did go back and pause it, it looked like an 8 to me...

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I can't find the thread either. I didn't think it was a short scale though-I just thought it was a standard scale that had 15 frets.

He also had a gorgeous Alembic eight-string that's in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame now.

11. That's a mustang, not a J.

12. Whats a mustang?
    The auction?
    thats a fender bass 5

13. This is a Mustang bass.
    [​IMG]

;) Treena

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw Led Zeppelin play in 1974 (4 hour plus set!) and he played a normal Fender Jazz throughout.

15. Here he is with that full scale Fender Jazz!

[​IMG]

This ones Live In Frankfurt.
    [​IMG]

;) Treena

16. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I know he's been playing Manson custom basses for a while now (Manson are a custom builder from Devon in the UK) - their stuff is very nice - they've done him some custom 4, 8 and 10-string basses, as well as some pedal steel guitars.

http://www.mansonguitars.co.uk/

Russ :bassist:

17. You're right, that was one of the fender 5's. Thanks for your help, everybody.