John Paul Jone's basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman1185, Oct 8, 2003.

1. I was flipping through Led Zeppelin's greatest hits CD liners, and I was studying JPJ's basses. It looks like he's playing a short scale Jazz in a lot of the pictures. Am I crazy? I noticed that he was playing a Mustang in one picture, so I thought he might like the short scale instruments. Anybody know?
  2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Never heard of a short scale jazz unless it was a mod. Maybe but I think they are regular jazz basses.
  3. Yeah, I might just be imagining it, or he might just be standing at a weird angle.
  4. hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    I'm kind of partial to this JPJ model myself ;)
  5. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I'm not sure which bass you're looking at, but I'm guessing it is his high C 5-string. Jonesy didn't own a Mustang, but did own a 3-color w/ pearloid block inlay Fender 5-string, among others, such as his "telecaster" bass, hit Alembics, an electric upright, etc. The '70s Fender 5-string looks a bit like a Mustang, so I'm guessing that's the one you saw. ;)
  6. He just played it at the neck p'up, so it looks a little different.
  7. there was just a thread regarding vintage short scale Jazzes that were found on Ebay, the type JPJ used to play and of course I can no longer find it.

Maybe someone else who saw it and knows what I'm babbling about may help out help...

8. hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
  9. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I have seen the "How the west was won" dvds, it looked like he played a jazz most of the way through, and at the end in Knebworth, an 8-string tuned in octaves. I'm not for sure on the last one, but I did go back and pause it, it looked like an 8 to me...
  10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I can't find the thread either. I didn't think it was a short scale though-I just thought it was a standard scale that had 15 frets.

He also had a gorgeous Alembic eight-string that's in the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame now.
  11. Whats a mustang?
    The auction?
    thats a fender bass 5

12. This is a Mustang bass.

;) Treena
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I saw Led Zeppelin play in 1974 (4 hour plus set!) and he played a normal Fender Jazz throughout.
  14. Here he is with that full scale Fender Jazz!

This ones Live In Frankfurt.

;) Treena
  15. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I know he's been playing Manson custom basses for a while now (Manson are a custom builder from Devon in the UK) - their stuff is very nice - they've done him some custom 4, 8 and 10-string basses, as well as some pedal steel guitars.

Russ :bassist:
  16. You're right, that was one of the fender 5's. Thanks for your help, everybody.