Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Paul Jones' Heartbreaker"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by framos, Aug 4, 2002.

1. framos

framos

Aug 4, 2002
    Okay, I'm not a bassist, but I'm a drummer that believes in working quite closely with bassists.
    I'll try to be brief.
    I guitarist and I are about to complete our first song as part of our first attempt at home recording. The song we've been working on starts out kinda funky with a lot of counter-point and then evolves into this hard-hitting Led Zeppelin-esque coda.
    Now here's the rub ... We want to add a hard-hitting bass line similar to John Paul Jones' bass in "Heartbreaker." Does anyone have any suggestions as how to reproduce that sound? What was her running? What was he running it through? What effects if any were employed?
    I know ... I know ... If you had those answers, you'd be playing with Robert and Jimmy today, right?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

framos

2. Well....if I am correct (and as the resident zeppelin nut i should be) He played a 1962 Fender Jazz Bass through an Acoustic 360 amplifier. In this song he kicks in some distortion and plays with a pick. That's how he gets the grinding tone.

And no, i wouldn't want to play w/Rob and Jimmy, since they are not the nicest of all bandmates.

3. JPJ played through a miked, cranked Leslie cab on that track, FWIW. Grind and swirl.

4. I was going to say that, but i was confused w/ "The Lemon Song".

5. mike77rios

mike77rios

Oct 28, 2012
    so it was a Leslie huh? I thought it might have been tremolo, but a leslie in that time period makes more sense.