John Paul Jones - Led Zeppelin Heartbreaker Tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lil Mo, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Bigbri

Bigbri

Aug 4, 2015
    Where is this nfo. I know he used the same single 62 jazz bass and an acoustic 360. I would think its the od in the amp. I'm surprised he didn't use an svt.

2. Lil Mo

Lil Mo

Nov 30, 2019
    Here in this book. Numerous other places cite that a Leslie was used on this song. You can google The Bass Handbook

3. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    Wow, that was really cool. It didn't feel like it nailed JPJs tone 100% but it sure sounds GREAT!!! Very cool bass sound! I never knew JPJ used a Leslie. :woot: I can't say that I've ever noticed it on the recording but I've got a Leslie in my studio so guess what I'll be doing this evening!

Why do everyone get cool sounds out of the B3K but not me? I REALLY tried to make it work but couldn't get a single sound I liked out of it. It is a very rare thing that I sell a pedal but I disliked it so strongly that it had to go. It did seem very picky about what bass was used though. I'm a passive P-bass guy and the B3K sounded anemic to me with a passive P unless I put a clean boost in front of the B3K. It sounded a bit better with some of my active basses, like a Stingray, but still no cigar. I really like what I hear from many other players with the B3K though. Which makes it all the more frustrating...:(

Lil Mo, Goatrope and FaithNoMan like this.
  4. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Sorry, no answers for you. I’m just popping back to say you are not alone. B3K I could get to sound good at home, then I’d hit the button during a gig and the magic was gone.

I’m sure I could make it work on a recording, but just couldn’t get what I wanted from it. :bookworm:

S.F.Sorrow likes this.
  5. KB5

KB5

Sep 28, 2012
    Bass sounds delicious. Very natural sounding tube grind. Not what I normally associate with DG. I use a Micro Bass Batallion and a little chorus to get close.

Would love to hear it with the vocal track removed. It's distractingly "off".

Lil Mo likes this.
  6. Lil Mo

Lil Mo

Nov 30, 2019
    When I get time in the next week or so I will download without those vocals and try it again. Our band is going to cover it - May try to get a decent clip of us at practice. I have been pleased by the B3k much more so than the “duality” pedal that I have from them

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022