Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Paul Jones question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JWC, Oct 7, 2000.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I know this question is probably a little late, but I was going through my old t-shirts today and found the tour shirt I bought when I saw Page and Plant in Atlanta, May '98. I got a question about that. Where in the hell was John Paul Jones? Listen to an old Led Zep album....picking out and focusing on any of the 3 instruments or vocals can be very interesting. Jones is one of my major influences, and I would probably piss most guitarists in saying this, but Jones is just as interesting to listen to as Page on many Zep songs. So why did they choose not to include him, or was it Jones decision not to come back. My theory is that maybe Page and Plant wanted the spotlight for themselves. Maybe not though. Who knows? Any of you know?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    My understanding is that Page and Plant organized the tour and "did not invite" Jones. That, at least, was what JPJ said in his BP interview a few months ago.

Will C.:cool:

3. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    When I read "Hammer Of The Gods" (the LZ biography) I got the imprression that JPJ wanted to get away. This was several years ago but, I remember the part where Led Zep played at "live Aid" (Phill Collins played drums). Anyway, Robert Plant called JPJ to invite him. He said He knew a good bass player for the job (meaning not him) and that he wanted to play organ. I forget the outcome.

4. NukeBass

NukeBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Cornelius, NC
    I remember watching Zeppelin being inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame a few years ago. Page, Plant, and Jones
    were there and each said their little piece. Jones said something at the end of his to the effect of "at least they remembered my phone number," and this was not long after the Page and Plant tour.

I agree with Jones being the interesting person. Page is (was) an awesome guitar player, but I think that Jones helped keep them from becoming just another rock band. He added a subtle diversity to the group with his smooth lines and keyboards.

5. A vote in favour of JPJ. I love Zeppelin.

6. Hey,this is a cool topic.I heard it might have been a question of money.I'm not sure if Page and Plant had a discrepancy of amount or what.We'll probably never know.
    Did anyone see when JPJ played with Lenny Kravitz?? Some people have all the luck.(I mean Lenny,of course).Sorry if I'm getting off the subject.

7. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    JPJ is one of my main influences. Anyone got a handle on "The Lemon Song?" I've been trying for many years and still don't have it down.

8. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I can play along with the song, but not note for note, at least during the solo. You start out on the high e on the A string and mess around with the major scale for a few measures and then repeat the same pattern on a major. I guess. I need to shut up with all this theoretical talk before I prove I have no clue what Im talking about.

9. It's good to see all these Jones fans on this board.I mean, if you're a rock bassist or just a bassist in general,how could you not Dig JPJ? I recently learned "Out On The Tiles" and I must say it kicked my butt.The man probably doesn't realize how many bassists he's influenced.I hope I meet him someday!!!

"Where's that confounded bridge?"

10. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    True Willie D. Jones has influenced masses of bassists. Heck, he was one of the first bassists I really got into. I wonder though, if he is a nice guy or an arrogant jerk? I would assume he's probably a very polite, mild mannered individual.

11. I "heard" he's cool.Do you remember when Jones produced the Butthole Surfers years ago? They liked him and commented on how JP missed Bonzo.Man, that was a rhythm section!!!

12. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Probably one of the best rythm sections in rock n' roll, all-time. They were very creative and really helped shape Led Zeppelin's unique sound. Its sad though that today you don't get rythm sections like Jones/Bonham, Lee/Peart, etc.

13. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    JPJ, one of my all time favs!! Have no clue as to what he is up to these days. Would love to hear him do a solo album(instrumental).

14. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Careful what you wish for!:D He just released one a couple months ago. I believe it was called "Zooma".

Sorry, can't tell anything about it as I haven't had a chance to pick up a copy.

15. Did anyone see VH-1's documentary a couple weeke ago on Zep? It was cool and it made me wish I could haave seen them live.
    "They just don't write them like that anymore."