Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

John Paul Jones Signature

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheBassmeister, Jan 30, 2004.

1. TheBassmeister

TheBassmeister

Nov 23, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Hi guys, I was watchin the Led Zeppelin DVD earlier, and I fell in love with his sunburst Fender with the maroon pickguard. I looked on the Fender website, and I couldnt find anything, even a standard model that looked like it, and searched the internet for a while and couldnt find a signature. Does anyone have a clue if they make a signature, or a standard model that has the same model and look? (Inserted a few pictures, best google quality I could find.)

2. TheBassmeister

TheBassmeister

Nov 23, 2003
    Austin, TX

Thats exactly it. Any clue where I could get it or how much?

3. TheBassmeister

TheBassmeister

Nov 23, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Good lord why can't I get pictures to post...I have some in My Documents file but I uploaded them and they arent in it or anything. Oh well, you hit it right on the head with Treena's bass.

4. TheBassmeister

TheBassmeister

Nov 23, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Edit: I take that back...its not exactly the same one, it has the rectangular fret markers as opposed to John Paul's dots. This bass would be more of a collectors piece than anything, so I would probably have it refitted anyway. Sort of a ghetto signature bass.

Edit Again: The sunburst on hers is a darker color than of John Paul Jones', and the bridge is also different...sounded too good to be true.

5. TheBassmeister

TheBassmeister

Nov 23, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Found one on the Fender website...http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0131800 Thats basically what I'm looking for, except I think eventually JPJ used a 5 string Fender that was like exactly the same, which if I could find a 5, I would not only use it as a collectors piece but use it for occasional gigging. John Paul Jones did have dots on his though.
    Heres a picture of his bass (a little easier to see).
    http://pablo.pernot.free.fr/images/photos/copenhaguen71_4.jpg

The only problem is that JPJ's appears to be a brown sunburst, as opposed to the 3 color sunburst on the Fender color chart. The pickguard is a 4 ply brown, but like you said, can be easily replaced.

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Bassmeister,
    What you're looking for is something like my '62 Reissue below. The Fender '62 is a great bass is you're on a budget, although a MIA or MIM/MIJ would do you just fine too. If you're looking for something with that Jonsey look, but want a little more performance for your dollar, there are quite a few companies that make excellent jazz bass copies-Mike Lull, Roger Sadowsky, etc.

7. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    But I'm not,his bass is a 62 fender 3 color sunburst,it was a stack/nob but he went with the more common 2 volume and 1 tone.
    He has had this bass since new,he gets a kick out of it when people ask him where he got such an awesome vintage bass,he says"I bought it new in 62 for 400.00$ would you like me to let you know next time I go back there?".
    He also has a 51 p-bass/telecaster model with no p/gaurd he uses it on songs like the "immigrant song",and also he has a frett-less later model(69-72)p-bass he uses exclusively on "in my time of dying" yes its a frett-less. :bassist:

8. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Demolition,
    I wasn't trying to say that Jonsey's bass was a stacked knob '62. I simply threw a photo of a '62 Reissue up there because short of spending thousands on an early '60s jazz, a '62 Reissue or MIA Fender is the closest thing to the "look" of JPJ's sunburst Fender.

9. And you can always replace the pots and control plate.

10. TheBassmeister

TheBassmeister

Nov 23, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Yeah guys, I totally agree, and I appreciate your help. Im not really looking for a new playing bass, so Id rather stay away from the top end Sadowsky and Lull basses, and stick with a vintage fender.

11. Tightanic

Tightanic Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
  12. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Your best, most affordable option to approximate JPJ's bass, is to get a MIM Fender '60's re-issue. It is a generic re-issue of a mid '60's Jazz and is available in sunburst with the tortoise shell pickguard. It is a high quality instrument and you can buy one for under $700. It may not be exact, but it is close.

13. Yeah man, just get a 60's ReIssue... Also, JPJ's 5-string Fender was strung EADGC. :)